Blu-Ray vs HD-DVD: And the winner is....

....Blu-Ray, so it seems.

Quote:
Toshiba Corporation has decided to withdraw from next generation high-definition DVD production.

Toshiba has been struggling with its version of the next generation DVD format, as support for Blu-ray technology has spread among US retailers.

Toshiba has been in heated competition with other Japanese electronic giants such as Sony, Panasonic and Hitachi, which produce the high-definition DVD format, Blu-ray.

The Blu-ray format now makes up 90 percent of the Japanese high-definition DVD market after winning last year's price war for DVD recorders and players.

Toshiba faced even more difficulty when the major movie studio, Warner Brothers Entertainment, announced that it planned to use only the Blu-ray format for its movie software.

The company said it will continue to sell HD-DVD products for a while but will stop further development of HD DVD. Meanwhile, it said its DVD factories in Aomori Prefecture, northern Japan, would be closed.

Has anyone on here got one of either (other than maybe in a PS3?)

I will be buying a Blu-ray/HDDVD drive for my PC soon. Last time I checked they were about 5 - 6 man yen. They burn the discs too which is handy. wouldn't buy a stand-alone player as my PC monitor is big enough to warrant playing movies on with decent clarity.

Most people are better off buying a decent upscaling DVD player than a Blu-ray or an HD DVD player. Why? There isn't enough content out there at this point. The best option would be a Blu-ray Disc 1080p-scaling player. Remember, both BRD and HDDVD play back standard definiton discs (in other words, back-compatible).

Yes, but I don't think a PS3 will upscale standard-def video to 1080p. And even if it does, I doubt that the scaler will be as good as those found in stand-alone players.

Even so, the PS3 will double as a good BDP player for gamers.

Sunrise, there is such a tech drive that 2 years will see new technologies that would knock this year's stuff back to the last century. Wait, wait, wait some more. See what comes next. Only buy if it really pleases you.

I held off buying a hybrid car cos there's a fuel cell doing the rounds in China. That would knock hybrid back to the last century.

Wasn't there something in the news a few months back about some korean (or asian country) that is already developing the new blu ray?

Quote:
3D optical data storage is the term given to any form of optical data storage in which information can be recorded and/or read with three dimensional resolution (as opposed to the two dimensional resolution afforded, for example, by CD).[1][2]

This innovation has the potential to provide terabyte-level mass storage on DVD-sized disks. Data recording and readback are achieved by focusing lasers within the medium. However, because of the volumetric nature of the data structure, the laser light must travel through other data points before it reaches the point where reading or recording is desired. Therefore, some kind of nonlinearity is required to ensure that these other data points do not interfere with the addressing of the desired point.

No commercial product based on 3D optical data storage has yet arrived on the mass market, although several companies are actively developing the technology and predict that it will become available by 2010.

from wikipedia 3D optical data storage

yeah RB the HVD - holographic video disc and other future technologies are going to be cool.

A Holographic Versatile Disc (HVD) is an optical disc technology which would hold up to 3.9 terabytes (TB) of information.

3.9 TB! that is hard to grasp in 2008, by 2015 it will be run of the mill.

The exponential rate that technology is improving at is mind boggling. I remember when 1GB was hard to grasp - a 486-100 with a 580MB HDD and 16MB of Ram was absolutely smoking, I was at University.

I could not fathom the computer I have now.

When they start selling stuff that has PB storage capacity I will be truly impressed, or perhaps not! maybe an EB - exabyte, who knows!

PB = petabytes, 1000TB. Google processes over 20 petabytes of data per day - those boys are busy!

yeh thursday, very true, with technology there is always something better on the horizon, so unless you need it now no point getting it. Same with computers, etc....

I would get blue-ray for data archiving storage, once prices come down, cos it'll last me a few years until the next technology is ready for mass prices.

Originally Posted By: thursday.
 Originally Posted By: BagOfCrisps
Why would a "winner" mean that there is more fence-sitting?

'cos there is not a winner. It's still blue ray v HD DVD.

War may not be over just yet but Toshiba HD-DVD has just had some nukes dropped on them. There are reports they will announce they are pulling the pin on production later this week
Walmart, Netflix, Best Buys, Warner Brothers all the past week going 100% Blu.
HD-DVD will be worthless if no movie studio is producing titles. HD-DVD is the new Beta-max.

a google news seach on "HD-DVD" will reveal headlines like:
Toshiba throwing in the towel on HD DVD, HD DVD Doomed, Toshiba set to pull plug on HD-DVD, Toshiba says it may end HD DVD business,

Microsoft - having a bad patch. Getting snubbed by Yahoo and now it seems backing a losing horse in the DVD race.

To be fair to MS, the yahoo deal was NEVER likely to go through. Even if Yahoo had said yes, the monopoly commission[sic] would have more than likely veto'd it.

The good thing about MS not fully backing the HD-DVD, come on if they had then the xbox would have had it as a standard drive instead of DVD, is that they can now produce their own Blu-ray drives.

Interesting to not hat as of November last year, the HD-DVD was in line to receive and 'upgrade' up to 51Gbs.

Toshiba has done the right thing by dropping HD DVD.... fast. Its stock went up for burying this while it still can. Sony messed around with Betamax for 10 years before they finally gave up. There's a lot of players with their feet in both camps (I work for one) and that's the best way to be.

Before you start talking about HVD, it's a good idea to start thinking about content. Even right now, BRD can hold 50 GB on dual layers. The studios are scratching for content. There's not enough to put on there except a lot of fluff. Until the studios come out with interesting additional content, technology is fine where it's at. HVD's only amazement in a consumer sense is its storage capability. It has little benefit to anyone in the home.

You will probably get a very good quality HD DVD player that upscales standard DVD to 1080p for a very cheap price soon, if not now.

Originally Posted By: tripitaka

Before you start talking about HVD, it's a good idea to start thinking about content.

true, but you could put the entire Seinfield series on one HVD :-)
When they figure out an HVD-R or the like, that will be something.

UHDV format- 7680×4320 res with 60fps would need and the storage capacity of a HVD, though thats way off in the future.

Either way I not getting a Blu-ray player until I get a TV that can do it justice.
 Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
In english ;\) what does this mean to the DVD's I have in the house? Does it mean I have to bin all my disc's and start from scratch again?

you will still be able to play them in a HD-DVD or blu-ray machine.
If you want to buy new HD discs and enjoy them in HD glory then thats up to you.