1. 1. Do you like this poll?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

I just heard someone today say that 80% of cars here in Japan are automatic. That sounds a lot!!

I've almost always driven manual and really enjoy the whole changing gears thing.

What are you driving in Japan?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I drive in Hong Kong, unfortunatly most cars sold here are automatic. Manual cars are only in the sports section. My Hyundai was manual, but my news Smart ForFour is automatic (was the only choice). Feels like far less power (for a small 109PS car).

I would like to testdrive a new VW with the double-clutch automatic though. It's an automatic with 7 gears and you don't notice any gearshift anymore. They call it DSG:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct-Shift_Gearbox

I used to hate the thought of an automatic but now I have one I love it and would never go back to manual. I really dont see the point in having the hassle of changing gears, its just unnecessary manual labour. You can override the gears on an automatic in the rare occasions you need to. Its great having hands free to change CDs, play with the navi, smack the kids etc ;\)

Manuals are definitely a better drive. I drive an Auto for work, have to do a lot of driving, and it certainly is easier. I find i override the gears all the time. Mainly to keep the thing from speeding down a hill when i don't want it too. Thats half the reason i hate auto's. Anyway, keeping it in a lower gear wouldn't be my first choice if i had to pay the petrol bill.

Manual's all the way, much more enjoyable.

I tried automatic once and thought it was awful. Gears are great. Lets gear.

I can believe that 80% number for automatics. When I was looking for a (2nd hand) car, I had trouble finding what I wanted that wasn't auto. Stuck it out though and eventually got what I want \:\)

Not driving in Japan, I'm back home already, but I am a control freak and prefer to determine the gear ratio in use for myself. No machine can do as good a job as a human, appropriately trained.

Hate automatic`s with a passion. Always drive a manual and it`s far safer than an automatic.Aside from having more control in manual it makes you concentrate on what you are doing rather than switching off while driving an auto.

i drive manual but don't really have a beef with autos. why not make the driving experience easier?

if you love manuals because it is "real driving" - does having power steernig and all sorts of mod cons in the car detract from the authentic driving experience?

Wikipedia has an article on "hoon" -

The term "Hoon" was first used in Australia at the turn of the 20th century where it referred to a man living off immoral earnings (i.e. a pimp). The origin of its current usage is currently unknown but is widely believed to be a shortened form of "hooligan" . In more recent times it has been used to describe any young male or female who drives in a manner which is anti-social towards the standards of modern day society.

Generally, a hoon is any person who drives any vehicle dangerously and/or fast.

Did that help, 69?