Waterproof/Shockproof digital camera

I've been on the lookout for a new digital camera. So I thought, would love to have one I can drop in the snow, accidentally step on or take snorkelling for my version on Le Grande Bleu.

Anyone have any recommendations - I've pretty much decided on the Olympus 1030 SW (which apparantly has a wideangle shot and landscape function)

Originally Posted By: Bushpig
lol.gif IT's when you sit back with a beer and "reflect" on all the shit things in your day, or the things you did wrong. You have to have a drink for each one ;\)

everything about our trip sucked, didnt it bushy? We were forced to drink waaaaaaaaay too much! \:D

you could get a really nice regular camera* and buy a waterproof case for it, its not as much as you think it might be.

A waterproof camera is a compromise.

A top line compact camera will take better pics in all conditions and a dive case will go to 40 metres and be 100% waterproof.

Great if you are really going to get it wet: scuba diving, kayaking etc.

They (cases) are really tough and sturdy, they can handles drops onto hard surfaces.

*many of the good compacts at the top of their respective lines will have a dive case option.

Here is an awesome combination that I would buy in a heart beat.**

Canon_G9_digital_compact_camera_6x_IS_le

¥44,880

plus

canon-powershot-g9-waterproof-housing.jp

¥16,800

total - ¥61800. and that was for a brilliant camera, you could get it cheaper with a different model.

1030sw.jpg

1030SW (brand new model I gather) is ¥49,799

pretty nice camera but for ¥12000 yen more you can get an awesome camera arguably the best non - SLR camera on the market and a dive case.

Compare the lenses of the two camera and think of which one will take the better pics.

The only drawback is the canon which is already quite a large compact even without housing would be bulkier than the Olympus which you could slide easily into a pocket.

Anyway food for thought. Have the best of both worlds.

all prices were the cheapest on kakaku.com

**wife would kill me if I did so: I already have a dive case.

size is what would keep me out of that. Especially cos you can't just tuck that into your wetsuit when surfing, or a pocket when swimming. It was great having the smaller normal size compact while surfing and rafting last summer eh cb!

I used the canon case+camera setup shooting some pictures this weekend (it was actually a friend's G7, not G9, but similar stuff) and it was great. Easy to shoot in the snow without worrying about destroying the camera. I think I will have to get that G9 setup myself.

Originally Posted By: Bushpig
the olympus compacts are almost indestructable too though. You can drop them on cement from 2 or 3 meters and no problems.

I did that once or twice...at least BP didnt notice whistle.gif After what I put his camera through Im sold on one of those! So nice to throw it in your pocket and body surf or bodyboard. I even just tied it to the leash a few times...good thing I didnt lose it \:D

I have the Olympus as well, the 730 (I think). I've dropped it many times into snow and not had a problem. I haven't used it in water yet but I intend to this summer. If you are wanting a good point and click that will take nice photos then I'd recommend it. If you are a more serious photo buff then go for the other option.

nah, TB, if you are a more serious photo buff, then get a dslr, and then get the oly as your water/snow camera! Or go for a waterproof case for your dslr! But really, if you are wanting something to stash in your pocket then the cases for cameras get a bit too bulky.

Thats what I said....wasn't it? Well maybe not the dslr, but I just meant in comparison of the 2 cameras mentioned. I use the Oly, I am simply a point and click guy so it works well for me

I think BP was suggesting skip the small (but obviously impressive) Canon if you're a photobuff and go up to a digital SLR and have the lightweight as the happy-snappy cam that slips into your pocket.

Which I intend to do.

I consider myself a bit of a photobuff and will probably buy a bigger camera at the end of the year. But what I want now is lightweight point and shoot. I'm going the 1030SW from what everyone says about their 700s. They've bumped up the spec to 10.1M so should be perfect for where I'm going.

It gets released March 2008 but I can't find a date on that. Does anyone know exactly? Also, saw it advertised as a pre-release on Amazon for around 42000 Yen - the cheapest I've seen.

Thanks for the input guys. I look forward to shooting you (with a camera) soon!