There is a real quiet karaoke place at the bottom of the hill. Only good if you have a crew as no-one else will be there. Anyway its in a converted rice or sake storage building.

To get there:

Get to the bottom of the access road to Suginohara. You should be at a five way intersection. On your right is the Suginohara township and on your left is the road back to R18 or the IC. You want to veer right. The sign makes this road as going to somewhere starting with K?????. Cant remember exactly. You should go down a small hill and its 300m down the road on the right. It has a small LED sign with Karaoke on it.

Just saw a Myoko hotel listing I quite fancy.

This is so pretty

tsubame-1.jpg

But Tokyo > Joetsu Shinkansen > Echigo Yuzawa

Echigo Yuzawa > Hokuhoku line > Naoetsu

Naoetsu > Shinetsu line > Myoko Kogen Station

that is putting me off.

• 3 weeks later...

yes, you're right, I got it from the info page which also had this option (same as your suggestion):

Tokyo > Nagano Shinkansen > Nagano Station

Nagano Station > Shinetsu line > Myoko Kogen Station

which I overlooked.

There is a great okonomiyaki place in Myokokogen called Yamagishi. The chu-hai are rocket fuel! It's just near the Myokokogen Hospital and Post office. Any cab driver should know it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Sorry, haven't been on the boards for ages.

We were there quite late during the season - usually closes around 11 unless they're not busy. Pretty late for Myoko anyway.

Originally Posted By: yoroshiku onegai shimasu
Which of the resorts there were you riding at Tubby Beaver?

Suginohara always seems to come out top in popularity contests!

It was Suginohara. The snow was unbelievable, it received something like 2 metres of snow over the preceeding 2 days (Ican't remember the exact numbers, but it was huge!!) I'd never seen as much snow as that. It was soft and fluffy, fantastic. For me there was plenty to do at suginohara

I definitely lucked out with the timing! Thats the key I suppose, putting it off until the last minute and following the snow, although it really was just good luck on our part. We tried to get Hakuba and it was full and I mentioned Myoko and the travel agent said we could get there no probs....thank god!!