I have cought myself going what I call 'stupid fast' a few times this season. Its when you reach the point that if you go any faster you will be out of control, strength comes into play a lot at that point. But it is only stupid fast for my level. Im sure there are people that would think my stupid fast is easily controlable for them.

Originally Posted By: grungy-gonads
The 2 times I have seen myself on video I have been terribly disappointed that my 'stupid fast' looked decidedly slow. I think the operator had it on slow forward or something.

This is the problem, isn't. It's a bit like hearing your voice from a recording - I don't sound like that! I wasn't going that slow!

It feels like you're going really fast but in reality you're simply not. I did some filming this season of some tree runs with a helmet cam and like you was quite disappointed that what I thought was a fairly respectable dash wasn't much faster than a brisk walk. So long as it feels fast, I guess that's enough.

Just got an email from a friend of mine mentioning he did 128kmh (on a gps handheld)he was certain that he could go faster but ran out of slope.

going fast is relative to the location and conditions

David Benedek does 124 km/h trying to get enougfh speed to clear a step-up/over jump in the dvd '91 Words for Snow' on a snowboard - alot scarier than on skis.

As a proportion of that... that's 77mph, so I reckon maybe I've gone about 50mph / 80 kmph tops, when air forces itslef in through all your (closed) zips, and the board starts lifting if the nose catches the air

... but this is meaningless as it depends on the conditions, and whether you can still ride at that speed, or if you're just flailing out of control and in danger of killing someone.

I'd rather be able to ride at 20kmph in tricky conditions smoothly, than be able to hoon it...

but it's fun sometimes.