• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes boys... I think tomorrow will awesome, bad news is Cat tours are booked out till march...

This whole booked out crap is beginning to bug me! Tried to book a few restaurants for family tonight and they were booked out till the 21st! then the cat tours.. off this crap.. hopefully we can get some spare seats to bring joy to this Roo Circus!

ps. thursday, you had better book ya dinners now for march mate!

It's calm in the village with Christmas movie snow falling. Getting lighter, may even go bluebird in the next hour or so.

26cm in the past 24 hr at HQ; 55cm since the top lifts stopped running.

Anyone's guess how much has fallen and how much has been transported up top.

If they can get the wheels turning this morning, this day will be talked about for a very long time.

Yes Thursday - the news has broken - Japan is AWESOME, the snow on a bad day is better than we can even imagine for an Aussie good day, and right now in ever increasing numbers the Aussie fella's and shiela's are going to come and spend thier hard earned in Japan.

Niseko happens to be getting most of us coz they have made us so welcome!! Until the bottom falls out of the Aussie market, and as a nation we can no longer afford such extravagences - I see it continuing to grow.

Indo! I am too jealous! Freshies at the Gondola - wah! Enjoy!

I think as well that Niseko has been driven by Aussie investors and so has been marketed heavily in Oz. Altho I have never been to Hokkaido apparently there are places there that are just as good, if not better without the crowds. Of course the same goes for Honshu, where the crowds tend to be natives as opposed to Barbarian hordes. \:D

Honshu is starting to get it's fair share of Aussies as well. There's a lot of resorts down there to spread them around a bit. Regardless of what you think about the Aussie invasion of Niseko at least the resort is busy throughout much of the season. This has got to be better (for the resort and businesses) than the empty resorts down south that muika keeps showing us. Niseko won't be going bust any time soon.

Yeah, I wasn't slagging Niseko for it, I was just making an observation. I agree that Aussies are starting to filter down onto Honshu, but what I meant was that in terms of your average Bruce and Shiela in Oz, the most marketing/ advertising they would see for Japanese resorts will be for Niseko

It's not just the direct marketing though. It's that we have western companies in the village that can organise everything for the main wholesale travel agents in Aus. Everything from airport pick-up to restaurant bookings, lift passes, etc, etc can be easily arranged for clients. I also think the type of accommodation now available in Niseko makes a huge difference. 5 years ago the choice was limited and the amount of complaints received about the standard of accomm were huge. Now that we literally have many hundred's of western apartments for rent makes a huge difference. As much as people claim they want to experience Japanese culture that usually doesn't include sleeping on the floor in a room with few if any furnishings and little bigger than a prison cell.

Yeah I agree. But I would imagine that all that development would come after the direct marketing, as more and more people come over and experience it, they will have their complaints to change it and so development is driven by the needs and want of the customer. For sure. Yeah the sleep on the floor thing is quaint and nice for about 10 seconds, then you want to be taken to your PROPER hotel room!! lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Indo
yes boys... I think tomorrow will awesome, bad news is Cat tours are booked out till march...
This whole booked out crap is beginning to bug me! Tried to book a few restaurants for family tonight and they were booked out till the 21st! then the cat tours.. off this crap.. hopefully we can get some spare seats to bring joy to this Roo Circus!

ps. thursday, you had better book ya dinners now for march mate!

How do the Cat Tours work? Do you have to have all your backcountry gear? Do they provide everything you need? How much is the cost per person?

Finally, do you think the end of March, around March 20 in Niseko would be good for a Cat Tour?
 Originally Posted By: Samui Kitsune

How do the Cat Tours work? Do you have to have all your backcountry gear? Do they provide everything you need? How much is the cost per person?

Finally, do you think the end of March, around March 20 in Niseko would be good for a Cat Tour?

CAT TOURS ARE 166,000 yen and you can have a max of 8 people. Usually privately booked but you might be lucky t get a space which works out to about 22,000 a head.

Today was fun. Man you have to be onto it though. Stuff gets tracked out so fast.
Working on scoring tomorrow and a have a plan in place!
Still snowing outside and looks like it will continue till sunday...

Dang, you had time to take photos today? My camera was in my bag the whole day - too busy chasing freshies =D

Tomorrow is my last day here, taking the 16:20 bus to the airport... but it's going to be awesome before that. Think I'll still be in my skiboots when I get on the bus!

Originally Posted By: Samui Kitsune
 Originally Posted By: thursday.
21 March to 24th March

Oh no! I hope the Aussies stay home for family easter egg hunts in the backyard, or church, or whatever they do on Easter. Please do not go to Niseko.

Easter is earlier than last year - end of March instead of in April, which in WA at least (not sure about the school terms of the other states although I would think they are similar) means that Easter is NOT during the school holidays.

Some people might duck over for a 4 day weekend - some might dovetail thier leave either side of the 4 day weekend and get a 2 week break and go - but the families with kids in school and those working in education (who will travel in the school hol's) wont be there for Easter.

It'll be busy for sure - but good news is - it could have been busier...
 Originally Posted By: ShayDn
Dang, you had time to take photos today? My camera was in my bag the whole day - too busy chasing freshies =D

Worth one minute of my time for when oldtimer's kicks in \:\)

Another 14cm in the past 24 hrs at HQ.

And it's snowing pretty well at the moment.