• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with ya! I'll be getting there next Thursday and I've been watching the snow reports everyday for the last month, it's not looking so great at the monent. I have been looking at a graph that logs last years snow base with this years, the bottom of the mountain is about half a meter higher then last year, but the top is about equal. Bit of a sham with last year been one of the worst in a century.

Lets hope for lots of Spring dumps in the next few weeks. Maybe the snow is just witing for us to get there.

Where are you staying?

We're at Lodge Koropokkuru. Should be good. I've not done Japan before and have spent ages looking into it. Even though the report aren't that good at the moment i am sure the snow will be amazing, plus i think most people writing the reports have been spoilt for too long. it is meant to continue snowing a little for the next three or four days, i think there is a low heading that way.

Yeah, were in the same boat and I agree about the report writers seeming to be spoilt. I get the impression that if they dont have waste deep powder 8 hours a day, they get a little depressed. Went to Canada last year and got the best snow on record or so we were told. With any luck, you'll be right and the spectacular stuff will be waiting for me on Tuesday.

I lucked out there. my first season was Canada 03'/04' and it was a terrible season. then this year in Aus and it was shit weather, though i was only there for 3 days. i just checked out a webcam at Sunshine Villiage in the Rockies and there looks to be 10 to 20 cm's sitting on top of each Gondola. not fair. Lets hope it dumps down for us in the next few weeks. maybe ill see you there.

• SnowJapan Admin

The people who post the reports on our site are based in those areas.

Unlike reports that are written by people & companies who are trying to get you to go somewhere and to spend your money, our reporters are under (rather strict) instructions to "tell it like it is". That is the basic concept by which we are posting these reports and it means both the good and the bad. It is not in our interests to report anything other than the truth and we do all we can to ensure that.

In the reports they are not comparing the conditions to those at other resorts in Japan or in another country. If there is any comparing going on, it will be to conditions at that same place and what is expected or 'normal' there.

They are also human. So they might get excited when there's tons of snow and conditions are great, and they might get a bit disappointed when things aren't up to the usual standards. Also as part of this human thing, sometimes they may see things slightly differently from how others would see them. That's really unavoidable but we ask the reporters to keep things as consistent as possible. They may even from time to time make small mistakes or make a typo, though we always try to make sure that if such things do happen they are seen to & changed asap.

I publically thank them for their commitment to posting consistent daily reports throughout the season.

As do I. Wasn't saying it's not good how honest they are, and your right, comparing it to the same resort is the right way to do it. I am actually very excited every morning logging on to check the Niseko Now report, and i like the personel little bits in there.

Don't get me wrong, cant say enough good stuff about this site and those reports.

Thanks SJ

I'm here in Niseko this week, and ... it's true that it's been quite variable. Sunday was an awesome bluebird day, great for groomers, but fresh snow has been quite rare recently.

However, things are turning quickly. Today was an epic day at Rusutsu, with lots of fresh snow and it was continually being topped up. Tonight there is more snow coming, and it looks good for the rest of the week.

Well we have experienced blizzard conditions today throughout the region. Most lifts closed due to the high winds but at least it's been snowing. Tomorrow is also looking windy and snowy and I suspect the top lifts will remain closed. Hopefully on Friday the winds will have eased a little and the top will open again offering plenty of freshies around the mountain (if you're quick!). There will certainly be some serious drifting going on in the bowls so I suspect some of the gates will remain closed until avalanche danger abates.

Originally Posted By: MOFOFUNC
I'm with ya! I'll be getting there next Thursday and I've been watching the snow reports everyday for the last month, it's not looking so great at the monent. I have been looking at a graph that logs last years snow base with this years, the bottom of the mountain is about half a meter higher then last year, but the top is about equal. Bit of a sham with last year been one of the worst in a century.

MOF the depth chart you are looking at is a little deceiving. Although up high the snowdepths are similar, this season is much, much better than last. We've had good consistent snowfalls throughout the season, albeit none have been massive dumps. There is more than enough cover for all terrain to be accessible. The surface conditions have generally been excellent with powder days predominating.
 Originally Posted By: MOFOFUNC
I wasn't been rude. Jokes my friend.
But seriously, who would possible give up the opportunity to go to Japan.
Lets hope it just keeps snowing.
Have fun in that powder.

mate, thats just Thursday being his sarcastic self!! lol.gif

I'm in Niseko now.

First night (12th) was average by the usual standards.

Yesterday hit the gondola and got some real good freshies early then headed to hanazono. all smiles there.

Today only the bottom lift at Hirafu was open so I rang around to a few other nearby resorts but the were all close. Headed over to annnupuri ad had a blast over there.

OK, this Aussie thing is out of control! I thought a few but 9/10 people are round eye!

We are hopefully getting a group to hire the cat for a day and go get some uncrowded freshies maybe saturday . Still need a few crew to pull it off so if any of you guys that are up here are interested PM me thru here.

We are hopefully getting a group to hire the cat for a day and go get some uncrowded freshies maybe saturday . Still need a few crew to pull it off so if any of you guys that are up here are interested PM me thru here.

Mate, i'd be real keen but i wont be there till next thursday. let me know iff you postpone it for a week or two.