Hello!

Can someone from US tell me about it?

When do you say it and why?

I wonder how many country have like this thing.

Quote:
The Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag, "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.", should be rendered by standing at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart. When not in uniform men should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart. Persons in uniform should remain silent, face the flag, and render the military salute.

When I was shogakusei (mukashi, mukashi...), the students would all stand and say it at the beginning of homeroom. I'm not sure if kids still do this now. I would say "...one nation, indivisible..." and leave out the "under god" part because even as a child I did not acknowledge the christian god. Until recently, you could get into trouble in some parts of the USA (especially the South) where most people were christian. A law went into effect a few years ago saying schools can't force kids to say the "god" part.

Why? Saa... maybe to instill patriotism? If you simplify the pledge, it is basically saying, "I promise to be a loyal American."

People do complain about the "under God" part because of religious freedom in the States. The pledge is just a part of American culture. I can understand why you think it sounds creepy. I thought the same about a lot of different things when I came to Japan.

I talked to a few teacher friends (in the USA) yesterday evening, and they said that in their district, the administration leaves it up to the individual teachers to decide whether to have the kids say it or not. I imagine that in certain areas of the US, the powers that be are not so egalitarian...

Since the Supreme Court ruled that the "god" part was an infringement on freedom of religion, kids were allowed to say the pledge without it, but there are those who still complain that even mandating kids say the pledge in the first place is a violation of freedom of speech.

I'm sure from the outside, the pledge sounds like some kind of brainwashing.

just a point, but why is "God" an infringement on religious freedom? Surely all religions worship a God, but they have different names for Him/Her/It.

I think it is WAAAY creepy. Brainwashed to the max. When I went to Florida with my family on holiday about 10 years ago we used to get up to laugh at the neighbours raising the american flag on their front lawn with arms across their chests!! lol.gif dunno if they were pledging allegiance as we were inside....Americans have guns you know!! ;\)

I guess non-christian monotheistic religions want to use their name for their god (the "A-word" for example).

Plus, there are a lot of religions that don't have diety/dieties at all - take Buddhism for example.

Quote:
we used to get up to laugh at the neighbours raising the american flag on their front lawn with arms across their chests

Ignoring the silly arms across chest thing, surely that was a special occasion?
 Originally Posted By: BagOfCrisps
 Quote:
we used to get up to laugh at the neighbours raising the american flag on their front lawn with arms across their chests

Ignoring the silly arms across chest thing, surely that was a special occasion?

they done it every day for the 2 weeks we were there. I guess its wrong to laugh at another culture, but because its America and our cultures are thought to be so similar, we thought it was very funny.

Sounds pretty spooky.

In my young primary school days in Oz we had to do a pledge once a week - I love my country, I honour my flag, I salute the Queen ....and a few more followed by singing "God save the Queen".

No wonder I'm an anti-royalist anti-nationalist raver.

Pledges, Flags, Anthems and Nationalism - refuges for more than just scoundrels.