hi wondering if anyone has boarded in niseko mid/end of march

thinking of going next month but unsure what conditions will be like

does it normally start raining/get pretty wet towards the end of the season?

any other good destinations to suggest in japan in march?

many thanks

Not March, but April.

The big melt was happening but there was still way more good snow to ride than in the Southern Hemisphere winters. We found a lot of lifts closed midweek (but open on weekends) - like the Gondola - but in MArch they should all still be firing. And in any case - with the lower numbers we had plenty of access.

Some very bare patches near the bottom of the mountain, but still enough that you can get down - and again - in March that shouldn't be a problem. Snow was often like a big slushy, so rode slow, in the afternoon - and a tad icy in the am...but again - wont be AS bad in March.

April was not the POW-fest of January, but we would go again.

Last season was one of the worst on record so what Mamabear experienced were unusually bad conditions. The fact that it was still pretty good says something about how much snow we get here even in a bad season.

Mid to late March is a bit of a gamble if you are looking for powder skiing. That said a couple of seasons ago we have over a foot of snow on the last day of March. It can be awesome and it can be mediocre. Generally by that time most days the temp will get up to or slightly above freezing at the base and conditions on the lower mountain will be variable. Up top though conditions should still be great.

Good to know.

Missing the slopes already! LOL

Just goes to show you, doesn't it. We LOVED it in April - thought it was fantastic - and people were asking us why we were there, "the season is all but over"...it was still pretty fantastic for we from the Southern Hemi! Japan is truly blessed when it comes to snow!

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
Good to know.
Missing the slopes already! LOL

Just goes to show you, doesn't it. We LOVED it in April - thought it was fantastic - and people were asking us why we were there, "the season is all but over"...it was still pretty fantastic for we from the Southern Hemi! Japan is truly blessed when it comes to snow!

not just from the southern hemisphere MB, I came over last March and as flying over the mountains I had a skek down and saw the place covered in beautiful snow, so although it was crap by Japan standards, its still beat Scottish snow conditions.

I love Japan!! \:D
 Originally Posted By: Go Native
Last season was one of the worst on record so what Mamabear experienced were unusually bad conditions. The fact that it was still pretty good says something about how much snow we get here even in a bad season.

Mid to late March is a bit of a gamble if you are looking for powder skiing. That said a couple of seasons ago we have over a foot of snow on the last day of March. It can be awesome and it can be mediocre. Generally by that time most days the temp will get up to or slightly above freezing at the base and conditions on the lower mountain will be variable. Up top though conditions should still be great.

Hey Go Native, How are things looking this year compared to last year?

We have another trip planned for Niseko on March 20. Our 3rd trip to Niseko this year. Prior trips were mid-Dec and mid-January.

Do you have any best guess on whether the bowl runs off of Annupuri will still be accessible?
 Originally Posted By: yamayamayama
That was George Michael actually, not Wham.

(Oh dear, did I really post that).

Please go hid in sham! The sad part is that, I just got pictures of Georgie Boy hopping, skipping and snapping his fingers on stage in a pink sweathshirt and large gold hoop earrings.
 Originally Posted By: yamayamayama
Ahh! You are mistaking Faith with Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go.
Obviously not a real fan.

No mistake. The OP made reference to Faith/Wham and then was corrected. The mention of Wham will cause nightmares of pink sweater and white pants to most 30-somethings -- fan or not.

Definately not a fan. However, I did like the video of the supermodels lip synching to George Michael. I do not know the name of the song, but please hook me up with the video.
 Originally Posted By: radiohead
hi wondering if anyone has boarded in niseko mid/end of march
thinking of going next month but unsure what conditions will be like

does it normally start raining/get pretty wet towards the end of the season?

any other good destinations to suggest in japan in march?

many thanks

where in this OP address did he mention Georgeous Michaeleus and C**t?

What the hell have I done?! I seem to have changed a perfectly nice Niseko in March thread into a George Wham or whatever his name is appreciation/ hatred thread. I shall go back to my original post and edit it so none of the further posts make sence (including this one) to remove myself from any possible blame.

Snow .... Wham

Snow ... Wham.

Nup - nothing in common. Snow is amazing, Wham is not. Yes I am a thirty something - shudder and remember DANCING to wham at school disco's. Lord help us - I would MUCH rather be remeniscing about Niseko snow.

Niseko in March? Wish I could be there!

Wham Bars were great as a kid!! That bright pink, sweet toffee-like stuff with weird coloured crystals in it that crossed your eyes on tongue-impact!!! NOT good for kids teeth however! but at 10p a bar who could complain?? \:D

Originally Posted By: thursday.
This year looks a lot better. I'll be there mid-March and then again early April. Looks a lot safer than last year.

You went to Niseko last year March as well? How's the snow in March? I am so tempting to go in March just for a few days. Not sure is worth to fly all the way there...