??

Quote:
The English Premier League is considering the idea of staging some matches around the rest of the world.

At a meeting in London on Thursday, all 20 clubs agreed to explore a proposal to extend the season to 39 games.

Those 10 extra games would be played at five different venues, with cities bidding for the right to stage them.

It is understood the additional fixtures could be determined by a draw but that the top-five teams could be seeded to avoid playing each other.

So we might end up being unlucky and playing the leaders in the extra game?

It's sad to hear that some people might want to mess with the "integrity of the game" ;\) in such a way.

Quote:
The radical proposal would mean that from 2010-11 the Premier League would have a new 39-game season, with clubs jetting around the globe in January to play in various cities that had won hosting rights.

Don't we have enough games over Christmas/New Year?

This sounds like a bad idea to me based purely in greed.

purely money based. Apparently the top 5 will be seeded to avoid each other and cities around the world will bid for the games. Johannesburg, New York, LA, Kuala Lumpur and Beijing are the ones being touted around. I dunno if there will be that much interest as every city will want to have 1 of the top teams playing, can you see many people in South Africa going out to watch Birmingham v Middlesborough??

Quote:
can you see many people in South Africa going out to watch Birmingham v Middlesborough

Difficult to imagine anyone anywhere wanting to go out to watch that!

There really should not be PL points at stake in these games. It's just a joke. surely

I agree as well, but it looks like its gonna happen. Celtic played over here a couple of years ago half way thru the season, which was madness, they played here on the Thursday then had a game against Hearts on the saturday!! At least the game here was just a friendly and no points were at stake. (I can't remember the score with Hearts, but knowing how shite it is in Scotland, Celtic probably won)

I don't understand. Doesn't adding one (abroad) game to the season not hurt the fans? I'm not a fan, but when I hear guys on TV complain about it not being fair to the locals, I just don't get it.

Guys were actually complaing about having to travel to see all the games. What am I missing? They're not losing any previously scheduled games.

They did it this year with the NFL, played a game in London at the new wembly stadium. New york Giants i think - not only were the local fans pissed off for losing a game at home, but they wrecked the pitch for the new England game which they subsequently blamed for getting whooped out of the European Cup. Gutted for them.

The players in the P-ship are the most overworked on the planet (in football anyway) its just asking for inurys.

the giants lost a home game and were pissed off???

And, I thought the premiership playing overseas was about ADDING an additional game to the original schedule... hence my misunderstanding as to why people are actually angry.

Well, the FA are just trying to line their pockets even more by selling to different networks outside the already paying through the tearducts non-terrestrial networks.

Paying through the tear ducts cos they are crying to the bank.

The FA are a bunch of, well, FAs. I wonder how much thought and discussion has been put into this amazingly amazing plan before it getting announced?

Seems Gordon Brown is "with the fans"

Quote:
Prime Minister Gordon Brown has called on the Premier League to listen to the views of the fans before moving ahead with plans to introduce overseas games.

Mr Brown also believes that the money earned from the foreign matches should be used to keep ticket prices down.

"Fans have to come first and you have to listen to their views on this," he told Radio 5 Live's Eamonn Holmes in an interview broadcast on Saturday.

"It's important to recognise that the money has to go back into the game."

what does he know, he supports Raith Rovers!!! ;\)

Fans should be considered, as after all they are the only constants. Players and Chairmen come and go but the fans are there for life.

I think its more interesting the scalding comments that Platini said about how ridiculous its become in England. Them having few top home grown managers/ coaches, few top players who play abroad (although the same could be said for spain and Italy) and the poor performance of the national team in terms of not really challenging for honours. I believe that this is simply a money making exercise and I doubt that the grass roots or lower reaches will see the benefit of any extra income.

In the NFL, you only play eight home games. Missing one is pretty big.

Nice one to the JFA for saying they're not fussed.

Man Yoo should play one of their home games on the moon. They'd get more atmosphere!

They had to go announce it without consulting me and 2pints and while we were out of the country.

What a silly silly silly silly silly idea.

The atmosphere at the United City game seemed quite good actually. Then they lost!! haha.

Arsenal for the title!

Clearly we need less games so our national team can flourish.

They should simply reduce the number of teams in the premier league. Theres no money in those crappy Birmingham vs Wigan games anyway. They could cut 6 teams from the league and I think it would be better for it, it would be closer and more dramatic.

Originally Posted By: bobby12
Clearly we need less games so our national team can flourish.

They should simply reduce the number of teams in the premier league. Theres no money in those crappy Birmingham vs Wigan games anyway. They could cut 6 teams from the league and I think it would be better for it, it would be closer and more dramatic.

OK, cut ManU, The Arse, Chelsea, the Scousers, Spurs, and the Toons. Let them form a Super League with their own satelite channel