Need some help! (sake question)

bought a bottle of sake while Snowboarding in Japan and dont know weather to serve cold or hot, does anyone have the characters for either... so I can match them up?

much appreciated!

Originally Posted By: me jane
I think it's more a matter of personal preference than the type of sake.

Have a look at this page.
http://www.sake-world.com/html/hot-or-cold.html

What a brilliantly informative article.
Now I know. THANKS!!
I was scratching my head over a bottle myself.
  • 2 weeks later...

Some sake can`t be heated. it depends if it has been pasteurised or not amongst other things.Unpasteurised sake should never be heated! there should be a pic on the back label with some pictogram displaying if it can be heated or not. In fact only cheap honjozo can really be heated(atsukan) and some of more expensive ginjoshu can be warmed(nurukan).

Warming should never really be above 45 degrees, what I do is use a ceramic jar that my ceramic sake bottle fits in and fill it with boiling water and keept it in there for about 3.5- 4 mins.

Originally Posted By: spacefrog
Some sake can`t be heated. it depends if it has been pasteurised or not amongst other things.Unpasteurised sake should never be heated! there should be a pic on the back label with some pictogram displaying if it can be heated or not. In fact only cheap honjozo can really be heated(atsukan) and some of more expensive ginjoshu can be warmed(nurukan).

Warming should never really be above 45 degrees, what I do is use a ceramic jar that my ceramic sake bottle fits in and fill it with boiling water and keept it in there for about 3.5- 4 mins.

naruhodo! do you have a specially made ceramic pot for this purpose?
I usually warm it in the microwave.