• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

xray01.jpg

here is the xray before the pin was inserted.

xray02.jpg

There is a pin down the bone and with screws at the top and bottom to hold it in place.

mantas, the true story is boring. i hit a bit of crud on a really gentle slope and snapped my leg.. too boring ... blush.gif

i feel like a real dill.. doh!

2pints,

my leg was flopping around. it didnt go snap or anything. it didnt hurt all that much.

mejane- i just started screaming out help and some guy came to help me, speedie and marty were on the lift and saw me and thought it was a big joke.. ha ha ..

some doods called the ski patrol and they put me in a bucket and the ambulance then took me from cortina ski patrol hut to the clinic at goryu where they did an xray and put a half-cast on it..

the doc showed me a nail the same as what they put in my leg.

it is about a foot long and a quarter inch round.. made out of something like aluminium (titanium?? )

doc said i had to put my feet up and watch the cricket.

too bad it is so boring atm. you just know that australia is going to win.. zzzz

thanks for all the good wishes..

i am gutted that i missed the geek tour, tboy.

was it really cool? damn!

That would not be nice CB. eeeek.

I busted mine fairly badly in a surfing accident nearly 20 years ago. The Fib??(big bone) was broken in 3 places. No bones poking out though.

It's interesting to see Koko's xrays. My mate had that long rod down the inside of the bone as well. He was walking around in 6 weeks with no cast. I had about 6 short plates just screwed in willy nilly around the broken bits of my leg, about 13 long screws in all. I had to have a cast on for 12 weeks. It took a good 12 months after that before I could walk properly. (sorry if this is depressing you Koko) It was a further couple of years before I could say it was OK. It'll never be 100% again but it doesn't affect me at all. I've done loads of triathlons and even a few 1/2 marathons since.

Mantas,

Each injury is different but the thing that strikes me here is YOURS was 20 yrs ago...a friend had the same knee injury and a reconstruction done as my Hubby had last year, but his was 20yrs ago - and he reckoned he was immobilized for weeks then months in the rehab hospital - whereas hubby was home the next day, and walking without crutches in a week....

Things sure have improved!!

I am just thankful I have never broken a bone (except a jaw under anaesthetic - damn heavy handed oral surgeon!) - I am WAY too big of a woos to be as tough as Koko!

thanks for all the good wishes.

it is very boring for me atm..

all i can do is watch tv and read.

my brain is not working real good yet..

it hurts when i think or have to do anythink intellectual..

i just got a brochure for perisher in the mail which is confusing me heaps. will i be able to ski this season?

when will i be able to surf again?

boo hooo

i am trying to be brave...

Originally Posted By: kokodoko

i just got a brochure for perisher in the mail which is confusing me heaps. will i be able to ski this season?
when will i be able to surf again? ...

Aye yi yi!!
I got some brochures for Falls and Thredbo in the mail this week too...but KOKO...mate ... you are gonna be OUT for the Southern Hemi winter, pal. Sorry to say. You got a steel pin in your leg!

Maybe I should send you over my spare copy of Ski Tours catalogue for Japan, Austria, USA, Canada and more - you can start thinking about next Jan/Feb!!

Papabear is thinking he is going to be strong enough to have a cautious crack at Falls Creek this July - so we are looking to book there, but he had to miss out on January despite the fluffy POW temptations outside the window each morning... sorry, but ya need time to heal!
  • 1 month later...

hello 2 pints.

i am still on crutches but can hobble around with just one or a cane.

I go to the swimming pool and walk around up to my chest in the water.

it is slowly getting better and i hope to be able to get around in a few weeks. it is frustrating not being able to get around to places by myself..

i cant wait to just go for a walk!

a walk on the beach would be pure bliss.

waves back..

creekboy,

yeah i love the aquatherapy. i went for a walk to the coffeshop today on the crutches and am a little sore but am ok..

I WILL be coming back to ski next year. i am determined..

mantas,

surfest is on at merewether and the swell is small - 2 foot.

and there is a massive massive southerly coming tomorrow that is going to blow a dog off a chain..

How is the skiing in Niseko? getting much powder

or is it all boilerplate...

*snickers* sorry mate just joking....