I would be interested to know if anyone has designed thier own snowboard. My #2 boy (the budding Graphic Designer) has just discovered a website where you can design your own snowboard graphics and they will make it for you.

Obviously he is keen. It is right up his alley - he has done the same thing with his skateboard.

I was just curious if anyone out there has done this, and whether it has stood up to being used as well as an off the rack board?

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
I would be interested to know if anyone has designed thier own snowboard. My #2 boy (the budding Graphic Designer) has just discovered a website where you can design your own snowboard graphics and they will make it for you.

Obviously he is keen. It is right up his alley - he has done the same thing with his skateboard.

I was just curious if anyone out there has done this, and whether it has stood up to being used as well as an off the rack board?

Mama, I used to make my own skateboards and design them. Quite primitive though. The design isn't going to affect the quality of the board. If it's a dog, it's a dog.

well, it depnds on how in depth they want to design it, and what options the maker provides.

It might take riding many, many different boards before you know what sidecut radius, flex, and core you want. Picking out a nose shape and a graphic is fine, but usually custom sticks are for snowboarding nerds that are anal about what they ride.

Originally Posted By: Oyuki kigan
well, it depnds on how in depth they want to design it, and what options the maker provides.

It might take riding many, many different boards before you know what sidecut radius, flex, and core you want. Picking out a nose shape and a graphic is fine, but usually custom sticks are for snowboarding nerds that are anal about what they ride.

OK, I think he's just after the graphic design.

When he gets older, and really knows what he wants for a custom, turn him on to Wagner. They customize everything; flex, shape, length, you name it. They also use only top-quality materials. A new pair of skis would run about 1600 bucks US. (about 600 more than a top-of-the-line factory built. Quite reasonable, imo.) The make boards too.

What website did he find?

yeah I've seen the Burton site that tells of how you can design your own board, not sure how in depth it goes though, but I imagine at this age he probably only wants to come up with a bitching graphic to put across it. I have actually been thinking about it as well, BUT my wallet simply does not stretch that far....I'll stick to "off the rack" for now

The site is rideharder, revolution.

Yes it is just the graphics not the board itself - sorry should have been more clear.

He is an arty kid, won awards for his designs so I don't mind encouraging it as it seems like it is his 'thing'.

My concern was whether or not they are as 'solid' in the lamination - I presume so..but worth an ask before we shell out the $$. Not that we will be doing that in the next heartbeat - but maybe for his birthday.

ride definately have an annual graphics competition, and a few other companies do too.

Ok, my first reaction was.. this is a gimmick and the boards will be rubbish, If he just wants to do the graphics, but you want a decent board, then buy a used decent one with a plain top sheet and get cutting with sharp knife and spray paints - stencil art.

... but having lookied at the website, the boards seem alright - they have a 3 year warranty which is longer than big companies, and they look like proper snowboards. The construction may even be better than big name brands made in China boards - these are made in Utah.

• 2 weeks later...

Mamabear, I have just order a fully custom made split board from Prior. Custom shape and also topsheet artwork designed by me.

There are quite a few makers out there that let you customize your board, but all of them are bloody expensive. The board I ordered costs almost 1 months salary... shifty.gif

tsonda,

you naughty boy - although I suppose it is a worthy reward for your great success huh? Dr Tsonda!

We would not be going down the custom shape path - just the top sheet artwork, and only if he comes up with a design that he absolutely LOVES! And it would be his one and only birthday present.

WE WANT PIC's!!! Can you upload some when you get it?