Japanese food is fantastic thread

Lots of people love the food here. Me too. There's a ton I don't like, but in general what a great place to go finding out new stuff.

One of my general faves has to be soba / tempura / udon and all that lot.

Perhaps with recommendations I might find some new ones...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I must say, I am very happy with japanese food. The quality, cost, and the way it is delivered, is fantastic.

I had a lovely okonomiyake yesterday, I took ophotos and took a gps of the location so i can recommend /find it again.

Also had a lovely curry today (100yen off for gaijins lol.gif), and tonight will have a moss burger.

I love it here, so does my tummy wave.gif

<-- dying to try soba Big will!

So many damn favorites I just don't know where to start!

Sashimi

Sushi

Saba

Takoyaki & okonomiyaki

and Craving Tebasaki cause I just saw it on the telly..

Good thing I got my bro here (in Hakuuuba now) cos I have an excuse to eat lots a yummy food..

Pics coming soon..

Originally Posted By: thursday.
except Watami.

I find it quite ok. I was in one in Tokyo, and a few times in some in Hong Kong. I have no complains. Otherwise I am extremely picky about food and prefer to cook at home, or go higher end places. Watami for me is a cheap and good eat.

Maybe I shift from "great" to "value for money".

Now I love food.

And I love Japanese food.

But calling Okonomiyaki 'great food' is like saying chips, beans and cheese (french fries, with tinned baked beans and processed cheese on top) from the kebab van is great food.

I like Okonomiyaki, but it's just cheap stodge - just like the kind of 'heavy stodgy food' that Japanese people like to complain about when they go abroad!

Nowt wrong with fast food! Kebabs can also be good food anyway, if you find a proper one like they have in London these days. Theres a great halal one near my mums, its famous and always packed, they do stews and the meat is top quality, plus fresh made wraps. About 700yen for a large chicken shish.

AK I totally agree mate, its a pretty decent cheap meal - cheap stodge as you like to call it but not oozing awesome flavours like other foods, most people have to smother in it sauce, mayo, aonori, katsuobushi to give it more flavour

Same with ramen, cheap basic meal again. its a decent filler but thats it.

Okonomiyaki and ramen are good 'low end of the spectrum foods' you cant compare them with sushi et al - not in the same league.

just like a good meat pie, or a well made Taco.

p.s I guess I must have to try some genuine Hiroshima style Oko' as the stuff I have had in Kansai has been pretty awful! i.e half went in the bin.

Bobby 12 - unagi is pretty good but I prefer Unagi's saltwalter cousin - anago even more. Anago is the shizz!

Who said nabe? good nabe is just brilliant, now thats great food.

Sukiyaki too.

Originally Posted By: SG

Okonomiyaki and ramen are good 'low end of the spectrum foods' you cant compare them with sushi et al - not in the same league.

... which is probably why they don't cost anywhere near the same.

>Who said nabe? good nabe is just brilliant, now thats great food.

Sukiyaki too

WTF is the difference between Ramen & Okonomiyaki VS. Nabe and Sukiyaki?

wakaranai.gif

Sure, Okonomiyaki isnt served at a 5 star restaurant, but if youre ordering sushi at a Kaitenzushi, or buying it at a supermarket, then theres no difference IMHO. If youre ordering a 5000 yen plate of Maguro then thats quite a bit difference.

Since people seem stuck on price, does anybody else feel that, sometimes, eventhough youre paying quite a bit for the dish, it isnt really worth it?

SG, I keep trying Kansai style Okonomiyaki and am let down everytime. If somebody knows a "great" place, take me please cuz everywhere I have tried has been poor.

Originally Posted By: big-will
Lots of people love the food here. Me too. There's a ton I don't like, but in general what a great place to go finding out new stuff.

One of my general faves has to be soba / tempura / udon and all that lot.

Perhaps with recommendations I might find some new ones...

the original poster mentions soba/tempura/udon...

dont think those are expensive either \:\/
 Originally Posted By: Creek Boy

WTF is the difference between Ramen & Okonomiyaki VS. Nabe and Sukiyaki?
wakaranai.gif

the taste: Ramen and Oko lack the full flavours that good nabe and sukiyaki have, for me they are bland in comparison.
I love foods with to ooze with flavour - Thai food for example.
I dislike straight white rice - too bland and boring for me, at the very least give me some umeboshi, or even furikake to give it flavour - yes I know I am a heathen. Boring meat and flavourless three veg as a child will do that to you!

I dont dislike them (Ramen Oko' et al), but they are like a ham sandwich, something for lunch or a quick fix not something to relish and savour.

even cheap sushi has much more flavour than noodles or Oko'

but what ever floats your boat.
 Originally Posted By: Creek Boy

SG, I keep trying Kansai style Okonomiyaki and am let down everytime. If somebody knows a "great" place, take me please cuz everywhere I have tried has been poor.

maybe that why I dont really rate the stuff, I havent had the good stuff yet. I will keep an open mind if the chance to eat some famous oko' comes up.
 Originally Posted By: SG

Bobby 12 - unagi is pretty good but I prefer Unagi's saltwalter cousin - anago even more. Anago is the shizz!

i heartily second that. delish!

just had katsu don for lunch.