I plan to take the Shinkansen this Saturday in the early morning to Nagano. I guess there will be other people on that train too, I guess lots of them.

Is there any chance that the train can be sold out? Or will they sell tickets anyway?I don't mind standing, but would be bad to wait half day to get out of Tokyo.

I have never heard of sold out. I have heard of numbers like trains running with 180% capacity - lots of people crammed on and standing in the aisles.... not what you expect for the price of a shink ticket but true.

I imagine, if the shink is gonna be crammed, it'll be this weekend

i ride the Tokaido line (not a shink) every morning, and it is like a cattle truck. Thankfully its only for 1 stop and I change lines, but I really feel for the sheep who have to ride for 45-60 mins up to various parts of Tokyo

one thing you can do kraut, is buy a "non-reserved ticket." there are 3 of the train cars that are non-reserved, which mean no reserved seat.

you go to the platform and stand in the non-reserved cars. for tokyo-nagano, these are train cars 1, 2, and 3. if you line up ahead of time, you'll get a seat.

good luck!

Originally Posted By: dizzy
one thing you can do kraut, is buy a "non-reserved ticket." there are 3 of the train cars that are non-reserved, which mean no reserved seat.

you go to the platform and stand in the non-reserved cars. for tokyo-nagano, these are train cars 1, 2, and 3. if you line up ahead of time, you'll get a seat.

good luck!

I think the problem will be that I enter in Ueno, that will be after the bloodbath I guess. I will try to get reserved seats. If that helps I take the 06:30 train.