Just thought I'd pass this along, as it's somewhat groundbreaking. I'd rather watch a rider's video part than contest, but here's something on the first freestyle contest held in natural terrain.

Pretty sick riding, and pretty funny, too:

Quiksilver's "Natural Selection" (Click on Competition at Dick's Ditch)

And while on the topic of Quiksilver and Travis Rice, here's what will probably be the new standard for snow films:

"That's It, That's All" Trailer

"That's it, That's All" is nucking futs.

While I do consider this competition to be an evolution of the sport, natural-terrain freestyle comps are more than a decade old. The World Heli Challenge in NZ back in the 90's was groundbreaking with 3 days of heli-accessed competition. 1 day was Extreme (Big mountain riding), 1 day was Freestyle (chucking tricks off natural features, inverted rotations were standard) and 1 day was a Chinese Downhill. (no- that's not racist, it's a race where everybody goes at once... making boarder-cross seem quite childish.)

Rip Curl used to fund it and pulled out in 2001, forcing the athletes to pay their ride. Then it died for a few years and tried to make a comeback last year in 2007. It's hard to get the marketing dollars for events that are in such remote places... but it is the future of the sport.

Originally Posted By: samurai
"That's it, That's All" is nucking futs.

While I do consider this competition to be an evolution of the sport, natural-terrain freestyle comps are more than a decade old. The World Heli Challenge in NZ back in the 90's was groundbreaking with 3 days of heli-accessed competition. 1 day was Extreme (Big mountain riding), 1 day was Freestyle (chucking tricks off natural features, inverted rotations were standard) and 1 day was a Chinese Downhill. (no- that's not racist, it's a race where everybody goes at once... making boarder-cross seem quite childish.)

Rip Curl used to fund it and pulled out in 2001, forcing the athletes to pay their ride. Then it died for a few years and tried to make a comeback last year in 2007. It's hard to get the marketing dollars for events that are in such remote places... but it is the future of the sport.

I didn't know there was a freestyle segment to the World Heli Challenge. Thanks for the heads-up, samurai!