Hakuba Now: Avalanche accident! - I have questions!

A quote of a quote from Fattwins that is more stupid than the original quote from Mamabear!

Originally Posted By: Fattwins

Quote:

This would be the time I was very thankful that Niseko gradient was not too steep, huh? At least you get to go home!

The majority of avalanches happen on slopes that average 25 to 35 degrees.

"not too steep" is subjective.

I thought I would stir the pot. Now somebody please quote me to make it an even more stupid quote of a quote.

Abunai Daizu!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Politeness? Have we become so watered down that we cant call some one out? Someone that doesn't know anything about the topic in a thread and makes stupid comments?

No we will still call you out when you make stupid comments about Niseko even though you have never been here whistle.gif
 Originally Posted By: Fattwins to Tesselator
Number one I dont go into surf threads and tell people one area is more dangerous than the other, do I Indo? I dont comment on riptides or etc. Ive hardly surfed and dont know crap about it. So by stating facts that arent true, am I helping or just saying crap? Id say crap!

What the hell are you talking about??? Are yo even reading the same thread that I am?
I'm not saying anything at all about YOU! The only time I even quoted you is when you
said it was out of bounds when indeed every news release on the Hakuba avy said it
was inbounds and I asked you if you were sure that it was out.

So just what the heck are you talking about???

Quote:
Same goes with other sports I dont know about.

You want to talk about something then fine go ahead ,but before you make judgements about safty, anywhere you should actually know something about what makes something safe.

Agree. And I do. I gave you my credentials. I have worked a number of years in that
specific field. I do know what I'm talking about. In your analogy (above) I would be both
a surfer and a ranking officer in the Life Guards.

Quote:
Call me what you want! Im big enough to take it, cause at least I have some understanding about the topic in question.

Are you on drugs? Or do you often hear and read other people calling you names
where no such thing ever occurred??? Seriously man, ARE you even reading the same
thread? Put down that crack pipe and join THIS discussion - not the one in your head
that doesn't exist anywhere else.

Quote:
Everyone that seems to have a problem really knows jack all about what it takes to deem things safe or not!

A quote from Mamabear that is stupid!

Quote:

This would be the time I was very thankful that Niseko gradient was not too steep, huh? At least you get to go home!

You didn't need to call her stupid. Just saying that it was in error would have been good enough.
 Originally Posted By: bellavista

That statement is incorrect.

The vast majority of avalanches occur on slopes averaging 35-45 degrees.

How far do you have to tip your plate until the pancakes come a tumbling? \:D

The average intermediate run at a resort is 30°, and an advanced 35°. Avalanches
generally occur on slopes between 32°-45°, but are certainly not limited to this
range. Lower angle slopes are safer since gravity’s effect will be diminished. Very
steep slopes, because they are so steep, are also less prone to slide since snow
tends to slough off naturally never having the chance to form a slab. (Steep terrain
still slides frequently, however, and is way more dangerous than low angle.) Also
to consider is that the lower the altitude the steeper the angle that avalanches
occur - meaning that this range varies (+/- 5° to 8°) from sea level to about
5000 meters.

• European skiing ranges from a few hundred metres above sea level in
    Norway (e.g.180m (590ft) at Lillehammer) to over 3800m (12450 ft) at
    Chamonix's Aiguille du Midi. In North American, some of the highest
    skiing can be found at nearly 4000m (13000ft) at Colorado's Arapahoe.

Avalanches at 25° are possible but I would imagine them to be extremely rare!
All said and done Mama's statement was indeed not so "stupid!"

Since we are all commenting on how bad I am at grammar,,, lets actually check your reading comprehension!

FT said as he quotes himself

Quote:
MB that was an idiot comment period

Now did I call her an idiot or are you smoking crack! All those that can actually read English please read English. I might not be able to write but I can read!

I never posted to you the guy above and to be frank haven't read a thing you have said until the rant you put in where you quoted BackCountry.coms newsletter.

Yes, you ARE on drugs. The info is in and the jury is out. \:D

No one said anything about the word "idiot". Who are you having this conversation with?
I mean is says in the header that it's a reply to me (or I would just be watching and laughing
at you) but your comments if they are in reply to me, DO NOT make any sense - at all.

Now, don't get me wrong. I don't want to say you're bad or anything like that but I seriously
think you need help. Either that or your browser is busted. Or mine is... crazy.gif

Tesselator I think you have your wires crossed. I am pretty sure Fat Twins has not been directing his responses at you for the most part. In this forum it is easy to put in a new post by clicking reply to the last post. I think this is what FT has done a few times and you have taken it as meaning that his remarks were purposefully directed at you.

For example the comments about going into surf threads and commenting were actually directed at Indo, but because you had posted after Indo had and this moved the forum on to a new page it was easier to simply click reply to your message than go back and reply to Indo's. So although the post title said it was a reply to you it really wasn't. Get it?? For the most part the title saying who someone is replying to is incorrect as everyone really just replies to the last post regardless. I think this has been a bit confusing for you and made you feel the remarks were directed at you.

Originally Posted By: Tesselator

Yes, you ARE on drugs. The info is in and the jury is out. \:D

No one said anything about the word "idiot". Who are you having this conversation with?
I mean is says in the header that it's a reply to me (or I would just be watching and laughing
at you) but your comments if they are in reply to me, DO NOT make any sense - at all.

Now, don't get me wrong. I don't want to say you're bad or anything like that but I seriously
think you need help. Either that or your browser is busted. Or mine is... crazy.gif

The reason it says to you in the header of FT's surf post is merely because you were the last poster in the thread when FT pressed "reply". You'll see that Kumapix actually comes between you and FT, but if you check the post times of Kumapix and FT they are close together, meaning that at the actual time of pressing the reply button you would have been the latest post. Not only that, but in his reply FT specifically mentions Indo by name as the person he is addressing. I have no interest in the argument at all but accusing poeple of being on drugs because you don't have a firm grip on how ze interweb works (not that there's anything wrong with that) is a little strong for me.

As you were.
 Originally Posted By: timcraig
Tesselator I think you have your wires crossed. I am pretty sure Fat Twins has not been directing his responses at you for the most part. In this forum it is easy to put in a new post by clicking reply to the last post. I think this is what FT has done a few times and you have taken it as meaning that his remarks were purposefully directed at you.
For example the comments about going into surf threads and commenting were actually directed at Indo, but because you had posted after Indo had and this moved the forum on to a new page it was easier to simply click reply to your message than go back and reply to Indo's. So although the post title said it was a reply to you it really wasn't. Get it?? For the most part the title saying who someone is replying to is incorrect as everyone really just replies to the last post regardless. I think this has been a bit confusing for you and made you feel the remarks were directed at you.

Oh... beaten to the mark...

I think FT overreacted to a tongue in cheek comment from MB, relating to the even more boring subject that permeates this board as to whether Niseko is indeed flat! My 2 pence worth is that everyone was a beginner at 1 time and people should remember that, I doubt that people reading the comment in question would've thought that MB was in any way avy-savvy and actively look for her advice on avy related topics. Get down off the high horses and lets just forget it

Originally Posted By: Stuntcok
I want to set the record straight. The VAST majority of avis occur on slopes between 0 and 90 degrees.

I am going to disagree here. All avis occur on "slopes" between 0.01 and 89.99 degrees. confused.gif

But, now I am wondering if you are in the land of Oz, do the avis happen on slopes between 90.01 and 179.99 degrees? sleep.gif

Guys, I understand that you're just trying to lighten it up but I still think it's important that threads like this have correct information in them.

It seems there are a lot of people here who don't know a lot about Avi science, and they may accept the information provided here as correct and true( of course I'm not referring to your posts which are clearly jokes).

But.. for many people, snowpack analysis, compression tests etc are beyond their level of expertise. Basic knowledge of some risk factors for avalanches is important for them.

One of the simplest and best things a novice could do is understand what gradients are highest risk and make an assessment of the steepness of the slope they're interested in.

So... most avalanches occur on slopes between 35-45 degrees. The most avalanche-prone angle is 38 degrees.

Originally Posted By: Kingofmyrrh
 Originally Posted By: timcraig

Oh... beaten to the mark...

Ohhh... Now I see why I thought he was on drugs... Heh! \:D
 Originally Posted By: Samui Kitsune
 Originally Posted By: Stuntcok
I want to set the record straight. The VAST majority of avis occur on slopes between 0 and 90 degrees.

I am going to disagree here. All avis occur on "slopes" between 0.01 and 89.99 degrees. confused.gif

But, now I am wondering if you are in the land of Oz, do the avis happen on slopes between 90.01 and 179.99 degrees? sleep.gif

lol.gif lol.gif (Just to use up a little more bandwidth...)