Hakuba Now: Avalanche accident! - I have questions!

Originally Posted By: Fattwins
This did not happen inbounds it happened in the Back Country.

You sure? The article I read called it a "course". Specifically: 林間 コース Which I took to
mean wooded course. This would be different than "off-course" right?

There are usually posts (often a small shack or other) near the mouth of any course
(or trouble area) that may be problematic during the season. Especially if it might
be subject avalanche conditions but also at popular points where kids hop out of the
park. Not stationing a minimum wager at these points with snow condition info and
instructions to keep n00bs out I still maintain is VERY negligent.

@Thursday
As to knowing enough to comment on the topic I guess since that was my job for a
number of years, I qualify. \:D

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

getting back on topic: the Goryu South Face ridgeline avi.

I guess what people want to know is was there someone we know involved in it? i.e a forum member or an associate of forum member?

It could have been local gaijin, out of town gaijin or overseas gaijin or it could have been local Japanese or out of town Japanese. The radio silence 5 days later would indicate its someone we don't know or perhaps if it is someone known they want to keep the incident a private matter?

The details of the incident would be useful to anyone who goes back country to add to their brains database of info

They were obviously well equipped as they saved their friends life which is probably the biggest lesson to be learned.

Originally Posted By: SG
getting back on topic: the Goryu South Face ridgeline avi.

I guess what people want to know is was there someone we know involved in it? i.e a forum member or an associate of forum member?
It could have been local gaijin, out of town gaijin or overseas gaijin or it could have been local Japanese or out of town Japanese. The radio silence 5 days later would indicate its someone we don't know or perhaps if it is someone known they want to keep the incident a private matter?
The details of the incident would be useful to anyone who goes back country to add to their brains database of info
They were obviously well equipped as they saved their friends life which is probably the biggest lesson to be learned.

good questions. we don't care about names but for those of us who ride the Hakuba bc learning from these types of incidents is crucial imo.

Number one I dont go into surf threads and tell people one area is more dangerous than the other, do I Indo? I dont comment on riptides or etc. Ive hardly surfed and dont know crap about it. So by stating facts that arent true, am I helping or just saying crap? Id say crap!

Same goes with other sports I dont know about.

You want to talk about something then fine go ahead ,but before you make judgements about safty, anywhere you should actually know something about what makes something safe.

Call me what you want! Im big enough to take it, cause at least I have some understanding about the topic in question.

Everyone that seems to have a problem really knows jack all about what it takes to deem things safe or not!

A quote from Mamabear that is stupid!

Quote:

This would be the time I was very thankful that Niseko gradient was not too steep, huh? At least you get to go home!

The majority of avalanches happen on slopes that average 25 to 35 degrees.

Number one I dont go into surf threads and tell people one area is more dangerous than the other, do I Indo? I dont comment on riptides or etc. Ive hardly surfed and dont know crap about it. So by stating facts that arent true, am I helping or just saying crap? Id say crap!

Same goes with other sports I dont know about.

You want to talk about something then fine go ahead ,but before you make judgements about safty, anywhere you should actually know something about what makes something safe.

Call me what you want! Im big enough to take it, cause at least I have some understanding about the topic in question.

Everyone that seems to have a problem really knows jack all about what it takes to deem things safe or not!

Well said.
Call me what you want! Im big enough to take it,
Yeah but are you big enough to apologise for being a prick?

Our problem was with your attitude.

A quote from Mamabear that is stupid!

MB is certainly no authority in this area and you could have politely explained a few things rather than call her an idiot.

Politeness? Have we become so watered down that we cant call some one out? Someone that doesn't know anything about the topic in a thread and makes stupid comments?

I'm not going to go into her family threads and being an A-hole! I will comment strongly, on topics that I think I know though. If that comes across as unpolite, then so be it.

If you want to take a shot at me, please,please use the post count! That really hurts me a lot! I don't play video games, watch TV, surf You Tube or Download a hundred songs a day. For my entertainment I post on this forum and 3 others.

Grammar! Nice one Thursday! I type/write slower than I think. It has always been a problem, but I'm not embarrassed by it! I don't have the time to check all my posts so, I live with it. You want to throw it at me then go ahead. I'm big enough to take the school boy crap like that.

A degree of politeness is a good thing.

I don't know about other people, but for me, it sure is a better thing than being an arrogant, insulting and abusive.

Nothing to do with being "watered down", whatever that means.

errr.... I..... would...'ve thought...... that ermmm.. we could... all ... think ..... faster than ......we... could ... type...

Enough of this. Please have a great new year. Thankyou. And thankyou again.

Ohh per...lease guys!

Here I am stating it for myself.

FT - the post you have taken issue with was tongue in cheek - my previous two posts were serious. I can not beleive that this has spiraled into such a bun fight.

I will never try to pass myself off as an authority on something that I am not. I never have here.

I am not really sure why you have had such a voilent reaction to my little bit of tongue in cheek, when there are so many other stirring posts on here on a regular basis. I have been following the progress of this thread and staying out of it - hoping it would just blow over. But I am here to say now:

1. To the people who have tried to keep it nice - thanks for the thoughts...but it is time to let it go and get the thread back on topic. Fattwins is not about to pull his head in, and I am a big girl.

2. I should have know better than to push the submit button on a comment like that - it WAS me being cheeky about the whole Niseko/Hakuba crap ... I thought it was a giggle - but I have clearly misread the audience as having a sense of humor.

3. Fats - no offense taken at you pointing out I know nothing...I don't - I am new to the sport, but I can still have an opinion. But you know - regardless of what you said I would not call you stupid...that is because I have a minimum level of respect for people regardless of who they are and what they do. I wish you well.

But can we please drop this now?

TGR is contageous. The virus is spreading. I know it's hard to switch from forum to forum and leave my attitude at the door when I go from the rough-cut to this place. And I've been called out in the past of being a prick.

What's funny at TGR is usually quite insulting here. And- rightfully so, this place isn't filled with 16 y.o.'s.

No you don't but if you did, and you did say something that might have been wrong I'm 100% sure that you WOULDN'T get the same kind of reaction as you gave MB.

I just thought it was outta line, we all know that you are very knowledgeable and people look up to you to teach them. Just better ways to go about it IMHO...