Snowboard clothing - trousers / gloves / goggles Qs

I'm a beginner (a whole 2 days boarding) and I'd like to try and get some basic gear.

I live in Tokyo so I can get to Jimbocho/Ogawamachi pretty easily if this is where the best prices are. I want to try stuff on before I buy - maybe I could try in the shop and order online if its cheaper.

I borrowed a pair of Burton Ronin cargo pants when I went boarding and they seemed pretty good. The problem is that I already have a jacket and it's a short North Face one so snow was getting into the gap and leaving me a bit damp. To keep costs down I'm thinking of getting bib/salopette style pants so that I can keep using my NF jacket. But I can't find any snowboard specific bib pants - are these available? In Japan? I found Mountain Equipment, Arcteryx and Mountain Hardwear bibbed pants online but they seem to be for climbing/skiing so I'm a bit concerned that the cut will be too restrictive and won't be so good for boarding. Also the bibs are pretty expensive so there might be not a lot of difference in price if I buy snowboard specific entry level jacket and trousers. Any opinions?

I'm also looking to get gloves and from my online searches it seems the DaKine and Burton ones look good. I think the 'low profile' type would suit me better - can you wear thin gloves underneath these for extra warmth?

Goggles would be good too but I wear glasses so I'd need to be sure they aren't going to steam up! The ones I hired (cheap crap I think - Folio?) at Nozawa steamed up right away and were useless for me. Any recommendations on a reasonably priced pair that will fit over glasses and be suitable for a range of conditions?

I'm going to try (!) and set a budget of

pants/salopettes - 20,000 to 30,000

gloves - 5,000 to 10,000

goggles - 5,000 to 10,000

Does that sound doable? \:\)

I'm not bothered about it being the latest stuff.

Cheers

Donnie

Your price expectations are about right.

I'd say invest in "real" snowboard-specific pants if you plan on continuing boarding - you can use the existing jacket and get one with a snow-skirt later as money accumulates (maybe even a season-end closeout in a few months). If you decide on bibs, just go up a size so there is enough freedom of movement in the knee area - that's probably where it is the most critical.

Both Dakine and Burton gloves are great. If there is a choice between some proprietary "house-brand" waterproofing and Gore-Tex, get the Gore-Tex - it is worth the extra bucks. If you want to use thin liner gloves, just get a slightly roomier set of gloves.

Not sure about the goggles - Oakley used to make a glasses-compatible model a while back, but I don't know if they do anymore. Try Swans.

Have to say - if you go to the shops to try the stuff on - try checking on ebay or yahoo for prices as well.

did this a few years ago and saved about 150 quid on the stuff I wanted just by waiting a week - a helly hansen jacket and some burton trousers.

Really reccommned investing in some decent gloves - especially as a beginner. You'll fall over so many times and get so much snow that when the weather turns colder, your hands will suffer from it.

For goggles, check the venting in them whilst at the shop. If possible, put them on and heavily breathe (ooh err) and sometimes this works.

I have to agree with Rob about the gloves!

I don't use liners, find them too cumbersome, but my hubby and friends do. I have also switched to using a cheaper pair of thinner gloves this past trip and left the expensive well insulated, but thicker pair in the chalet - why? Coz I am falling over less now, and so the trade off in freedom of movement for me was not there anymore. (Bearing in mind I am a Sign Language Interpreter and therefore very sensitive to having full movement in my hands!)

Another consideration in gloves is wrist guards inbuilt. I don't use them (see reasons above) but my husband and one son do and swear by them. Most of the injuries found in newbie snowboarders are wrist injuries - so it can be a worthwhile addition to your gloves!

The pants: I would go for snowboard style - I just can't get that bib image out of my head!! I am sure they are practical - but Lordy they are daggy!

Goggles can be fun - but I found no difference in fogging between mine which were entry level, and my 14 yr old fashion victims that cost us a MOTZA at Ogawamachi. Try using one of those Hanibal Lector type wetsuit material face masks as your nasal breath is directed down and away from the gogg's. I use BUFFS, and when I had it covering my nose or immediately below the goggles tended to fog. If I pulled it a bit lower - no fogging.

Thanks for the advice.

I'll see what's available bib wise and if the selection is duff then I'll go for snowboard trousers. How's the stuff from Mont Bell? Does anyone wear that? Their trousers are probably too tight.

I like the idea of the face mask to direct my breath downwards. I'll look for one of those.

I'd like to read some gear reviews etc online before I hit the shops. Can anyone point me in the direction of good online clothing/eqt reviews? Just tell me the name of the site and I'll google it.

Which brands are sold at a reasonable price in Japan? e.g. I found a .jp site with Sessions stuff and it was way more expensive than UK.

Also, anyone in Tokyo feeling kind enough to take a beginner gear shopping (probably this Sunday)? \:\)

There are special goggles for glasses users. I think my goggles are Uvex. They are like normal ski goggle, but leave more space for glasses. Those models from Uvex add the word "Optic". This one is the cheapest for 8000 list price:

hurric-3.jpg

I used mine the last few years and don't remember any fogging.

I'll be out shopping in Tokyo next Friday.