After a day and a half of shredding the Hakuba slackcountry it was time for me to head back to Tokyo and leave my compadres to take down the rest of the untouched lines. The patrol was out in full force today, apparently a group of desperados had been poaching treelines ;\) and the redcoats were standing post at some of the popular drop in points.

Standing at the top of my last run I ran into some fellow rippers and offered to run a little distraction to afford them an easy opportunity to drop in unseen. They were obliged so I made my way towards the one of the redcoats standing watch above a beautiful stash, with a subtle wave to him wave.gif I drop in and begin ripping my line.

My original plan was to make a few turns through the trees then pop out under the lift to make my final "glory run" before heading back into the trees, but my line was off a bit and I came out of the trees to low and only had time to make 2 turns under the lift. When I reached the cat track below a patroller radio in hand was waiting for me, arms crossed in the shape of an "X" wakaranai.gif was this an invite to the X-games perhaps?

I got "damed" but he didn't take my pass, and I really wanted to make some more turns under that lift so I boarded the chair and went back for more! I worked my way down about 25 meters farther than were I had dropped in the last time, stopped for a second, and gave the patroller I waved at a "whats up" head nod before dropping in again \:\) . This time my line was great I made a few turns and popped out under the lift. I was able to make a bunch of turns through some choice untouched pow before ducking back into the trees. As soon as I popped back on piste I didn't stick around or even look back. I also didn't make another turn until I got to the parking lot.

My thanks to all those who contributed to an epic weekend. The snow and the people were incredible. I will not soon forget these past two days. \:D

Glad you had fun but I hope the patrol dont get worse after the chaos that was Sat and Sunday.

Avie conditions are really bad and some people took some ballsy lines and pissed of the resorts. The passes taken this weekend alone at a few of the resorts are at about 20 for the weekend. The conditions arent stable for open faces. We got a Ruesh (spelling?) block R2 failure and 3 layers to slide in a colum test yesterday. First time I had to turn back in 2 seasons from a planned line.

Conditions like these are known to patrol who do dig some pits but dont have the tools to control the snow. blowing past a ski patrol isnt really going to help open trees, it just pisses them off period.

Also they then get angry and tackle people like has happened to me twice when I was stopping.

Ive heard that some people were even told never to return to the resort as they skied an open face that couldve slide onto the whole resorts beginer area.

So although im glad everyone had a good time there were alot of bad decsions made and people are lucky that nothing really bad happened except passes taken and being marked for the next time they go.

Patrol are their own enemy in Japan. A blanket ban on sidecountry skiing encourages poaching by people who are conditioned to think that the state of safety conditions is not influencing patrol's decision to close an area. If areas were open or closed based on an assesment of current conditions then closures would be respected FAR more, like they are in the rest of the world.

Originally Posted By: Fattwins

Ive heard that some people were even told never to return to the resort as they skied an open face that couldve slide onto the whole resorts beginer area.

I know FT is schooled enough to understand how flawed this mentality is, but I'll just reiterate it.

How can they ban a skier for putting beginners at risk because the resort is too lazy to control that avi hazard themselves? If there is any risk to beginner areas, it should be controlled, regardless of whatever dimwit dropped into that line and "threatened" the beginners.

Surely that snow can slide without the contribution of a dimwit triggering it?

resort practices in this country piss me off. The same situation exists at Zao. There is this huge face of 100-year slide paths right above a beginner area at Zao. (paradise) (100-year slide path means a slide path that only rips every hundred years, during huge storms, ripping the trees out of it. They are easily identified due to the lack of growth while surrounded by heavy 100 year-old growth out of the path.)

Yet, patrol never does any recon in that area. If it ripped from a big cycle, it would take out an entire piste area below. Yet, if I go in and control the smaller slabs to prevent the buildup that would result in the bigger slide, I'd get my pass pulled. Somehow, (kind of a shoganai mentality) the patrol can say it won't be a risk to the public if nobody touches that snow.

amazing.

Kuma, I'll be up the last weekend in Feb and the first weekend in march for the RAC. The RAC is Sat Sun but I will be up Fri-Mon.

Hopefully make it up Feb. 11-13 or 17-19 as well I have a ton of time off in Feb and March.

There are closures ill poach and there are closures I wont poach. Somethings would never be opened whether they were here or in America etc. There are many such closures in the world and if you ski them at other resorts like WB or etc you get arrested or banned period. Look at other maps of these resorts

Im not one to preach about skiing trees, but I dont think doing it in front of patrol isnt really going to help open anything up. It doesnt show anything but a lack of respect. Whether you respect them or not isnt the question. Ducking in front of them, taking off from them, flipping the finger at them or just being buttholes to them, isnt going to help them open up terrain anyways. Learn to play the game and leave a lighter foot print or they will just tighten the rules. or maybe do what Furano does and put up a fence you have to climb over!

Perhaps the wave and the head nod were a touch disrespectful. I understand the patrol is just doing their job. But patrol or no patrol that line was calling me, safety to myself and others was not an issue, so I took it down. The weekend just wouldn't have been complete without it.

Like I said Im not one to preach Ive done all those lines a million times. The place got raped and if patrol are gaurding everything that isnt a good sign for the future. Having done enough to bring them out that early means something.

Originally Posted By: Fattwins
Like I said Im not one to preach Ive done all those lines a million times. The place got raped and if patrol are gaurding everything that isnt a good sign for the future. Having done enough to bring them out that early means something.

Yes, it does mean something. I don't know the law here but if they want to come down on you like a ton of bricks, you're going to have to face the consequences. I'm not sure if playing the gaijin card would work either. In fact it could make it worse.

i got away the first day scot-free. Poached the line 10 times perhaps. Second day (the one in question) got 6 runs in before the patrol finally met us at the bottom of the last run.

It was a pleasant affair, i was too happy from all the pow to feel any kind of animosity (not that i should anyways for them doing their job).

i handed over the ticket, and he asked me to tell my friends NOT to ride the trees anymore. He was also asking me if i knew about some guy in a full-face helmet that was also poaching that day, but i honestly said i had no clue.

Originally Posted By: Oyuki kigan
He was also asking me if i knew about some guy in a full-face helmet that was also poaching that day, but i honestly said i had no clue.

eek.gif I was not there, honestly!

I am innocent (this time grin.gif )
 Originally Posted By: ger
sounds like a lot of people were jackasses. (not taking about ski patrol).... just gives us all a bad name and makes it more difficult for everyone in the future.sjangry.gif

or just 2 of them
 Originally Posted By: SerreChe
Rutschblock.
It is great to see responsible people able to say no to an inviting line when the conditions are not right. That is one of the hardest things to do.

And, even harder?--- is dropping into a line you cut, that didn't rip. I fricking hate when it's supposed to rip but doesn't.

I'm sorry, but this thread is kinda textbook.

"Flick-off the patrollers, they're gay... yet I know nothing about snow myself... What do you mean 'cut'?--- you mean the rope?"

(The point of this post is that I've never seen a poacher cut his line.)

Just saying...
 Originally Posted By: samurai
(The point of this post is that I've never seen a poacher cut his line.)

Just saying...

I guess you've never poached or never cut your own line....

btw people there was no 'gaijin card' played.

I wasn't even talking about the gaijin card.

I don't often see many people poach dangerous avi lines at zao. There just aren't that many. But when I do see them hop the ridge and drop into one specific area of gullies and steep walls, they never cut their entrance. They just duck the rope, and hurry up as not to get caught by patrol. They really have no idea how to safely enter lines like that. They think it's the same as going under the chair.

Not looking to argue with anyone, just stating common behavior I witness in the avy-naive when they're poaching lines. and, that's what I meant by "text-book" (trees and lift lines not included.)