• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: BagOfCrisps
Originally Posted By: Oyuki kigan
You guys are about as funny as a fart in a space suit. Just curious, are you all skiers as well?

No.

That burger last night was absolutely fantastic.

I had burgers last night as well after our meat discussion!!

great
Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
You guys are about as funny as a fart in a space suit. Just curious, are you all skiers as well?

No, I personally don't buy into this offsetting your carbon footprint nonsense.

i hope not, because offsetting your carbon and reducing your footprint are two seperate things.

Do you mean instead to say that you don't believe in global warming?

i hope not, because offsetting your carbon and reducing your footprint are two seperate things.

No, I believe that the Globe is definitely warming, whether we are the primary cause or not I'm unsure, I can see arguements pro and con. I just don't buy into this government spun..."do this and offset your carbon footprint"..... just seems like a load of spun bullsiht from Governments to get us in a sense of panic so they can control us more.

No, I believe that the Globe is definitely warming, whether we are the primary cause or not I'm unsure, I can see arguements pro and con. I just don't buy into this government spun..."do this and offset your carbon footprint"..... just seems like a load of spun bullsiht from Governments to get us in a sense of panic so they can control us more.

i don't know where you are getting the info that governments are involved with scare tactics.

To me it seems like common sense. If you see something wrong, you do what you can.
I can't be any more plain than that.

We are living unsustainably, a result of the short-sighted expansion of thye last 50 years. We grew up in this rich consumer environment, not really realizing that it has only been the last few generations on earth that have ever experienced such technology. But for us it is natural.

Now we have the natural results of such earth-ignorant practices coming to bear down on us. All the poisons and dioxins we have dumped into the food cyclecreated is creating various diseases, all the pollution we have put up in the atmosphere is having consequences.

So what do you do about it? Do you WANT the government to try to clean up this mess, when it can't even clean up its own? Because without taking any responsibility and initiative on your own, that is what you are asking for.

The issues like reducing meat consumption are extremely personal ones, not governmental ones. They are steps that any person can make to live more gently on the earth. Did anyone even read that article that was posted? The resources that go into creating meat are an artifact of the idea that we have unlimited resources to squander.

You children are not goning to be able to live like that. Do you want to continue wasting resources for luxuries like meat or SUVs or overseas vacations when your children and grandchildren will have to suffer the results from the pollution?

This isn't rocket science. If you don't want to contribute to environmental degradation, reduce your consumption of items that degrade the environment. And factory-farmed meat (yes, pigs and chickens too) are part of that.

If you don't, then keep posting your dinners.

I'm maybe not being clear about what I mean. So I won't try to muddy the waters anymore, but the fact is I don't believe in this "offsetting" nonsense that has sprung up. Give us extra money so yo can feel less guilty about the pleasures you take part in....screw that!!

I like meat

I'm maybe not being clear about what I mean. So I won't try to muddy the waters anymore, but the fact is I don't believe in this "offsetting" nonsense that has sprung up. Give us extra money so yo can feel less guilty about the pleasures you take part in....screw that!!

I like meat

I offset my flight in May from Oz to Japan through Greenfleet. I paid about 40 bucks and they organized some cubs or girl guides to plant a dozen mixed-species native trees on degraded saline ex-farmland for me, thus re-building habitat for struggling native fauna, removing my CO2 from the atmosphere (over the life of the planting) and increasing awareness of the issue in the community.

And you say 'screw that'? Yeah, real nasty conspiracy...

Well, even though i think Tubs is mixing up issues, i am a little wary about 'carbon offsetting' schemes.

If you are reading this Tubs, it means you pay for someone else to work on a project to get rid of a certain amount of carbon dioxide, to 'offset' extremely polluting activities, like flying an a plane.

And i agree with Tubs, it is a little sketchy, because there is not much guarantee that the trees will live long enough to sink the required amount of carbon that you claim to be paying for. They have to live at least 30 or 50 years to do thiat.

Thats why i advocate living in a way that pollutes less to begin with. And seeing as how food is something we consume every day, many times a day, it is a good place to look at what is efficient and what is wasteful. And meat is pretty much the most energy-intensive food out there.

Which is the whole point of this tread, to make people aware of the problems associated with meat production and advocate eating less of it.

An excellent book, which is far from being an arguement for vegetarianism, is "The Omnivore's Dilemma". Brilliant book, and i reccomend everyone read it to get an idea of how f-ed up food production is.