• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

Originally Posted By: Stuntcok
As you can imagine, skiing has damaged my career. It has also lost me lots of friends and put strains on my familly life. If alcohol or drugs cost this much I would be locked into the Betty Ford clinic for eternity.

lol.gif
It sure drains the bank balance!
  • Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone looking to find some Southern winter action? Or are you all too spoiled by the Japan Powder to bother? And does it count as one big long season if you finish up in May in Japan and then pick up in June in Aus or NZ?

As for me I think I am at 16 (all Niseko), trying to recall if it was 1 or 2 days I took off and did other things (massage, onsen, lunch with the girls) and just did a couple of runs - so it could be 15...

I always try to hit the Southern Hemi for some snow. NZ has some great ski towns but even those spoiled by Japan pow can get awed by the Andes. Those are some serious mountains with some very serious terrain and great snow (at least when I went). It is hard to get to from here though so I think I will do short trips to get my fix in NZ this year.

As for the season, this was covered on TGR quite extensively as those guys are the most likely to go for the endless season. The conclusion there was that the season starts when your home mountains get snow and ends when you finish skiing. For us in Japan, the season starts in November and will end in August or Sept if we go to the south. That would be different for a Kiwi. For someone in Perth, I guess you just have to decide where your home mountain is.

Originally Posted By: Dean
For someone else who is in Perth, the nearest home mountain is 3000km away.

lol.gif Sure is!

Hi Dean
wave.gif

Well how about seeing as I don't have a 'home mountain' as such I count my "season" as being calendar year. Being a Christmas nut I am unlikely to hit Northern Hemi snow until early January anyway - so works for me! I have a week booked for July.

***Although if I call Thredbo my home mountain working on "home snow - end of riding" formula...I guess my total for the season is 25 days all up.*** So that would be Southern Hemi 07 + Northern Hemi 08.

For someone who gets 3 weeks a year I got 10 days in 2 countries in 2 weeks (Japan and Bulgaria). Snow in Bulgaria was awesome! Hey Mamabear, maybe Bluff Knoll counts as the home mountain. They get snow on it sometimes. I mean sure you have to hike for 3 hours to get to the top and by that time it has melted but hey gotta hang onto something!

Not sure it is worth the hike for the possibility of this....

wwspx24.jpg

Snow on Bluff Knoll.

Great work Dean, where did you go in Bulgaria? We have been looking at the possibility of mixing Japan with another destination for Jan 09, but the flights from Tokyo to elsewhere are a pain to find - most need to go via HK or Singapore. How did you do it?

WE went from KIX to London via Hong Kong (bought return tickets from No 1 travel. We hooked up with our friends and then down to Bulgaria. Our friends bought a package from an online agency in the UK. You can get them very cheap outside the UK school holidays. WE bought return airfares to KIX from Perth and then on the way home basically we 'discarded' extra tickets we didnt need and came home. That was the cheapest way to do it by far. It was great taking all the gear to Europe but such a pain in the a%$ (between the 2 of us we have about 23kg of gear) WE dont think we will be going to Europe again soon to ski, just the logistics is so full on. Its great in Japan as if you have so much gear, you can courier it to wherever you want and back to the airport.

We were lucky with Bulgaria. WE were told that the week before we came, it was just ice. It snowed 5 of the 7 days we were there. Snow was as good as Nagano. If you do the 2 country thing, drop me a line and I can fill you in.

Thanks Dean! I can see it will be a logistical nightmare - and for us - travelling with 4 kids it is only more so! We also have the heavy gear issue as we all have our own plus helmets (plus somehow we always end up with at least one extra board!!. However it is a compromise...I want to go back to Japan, hubby wants to see/ride the world - so we thought we would do a bit of both.

True SerreChe - but it doesn't have snow.

I am afraid after spending 38 years never knowing snow, now that I have experienced it - I am in love, and hopelessly addicted. I need to make up for lost time. Ningaloo just doesn't do it for me!

It was truly one of the most awe inspiring moments of my life!!! To be that close to such a giant. We had a good day out there, in the water with 9 different fish which the woman on the boat said was very rare.

Also, the reef itself has amazing snorkelling, just be careful of the current, it'll suck you right out to sea if you don't watch out!!