What are the chances of getting snow blindness spending an afternoon walking around Hakuba village with or without regular sunglasses? How about at the top of the gondola?

The problem is I'll be in Hakuba this April just for half a day, and not skiing or boarding. Basically, I'll just be sightseeing, since I haven't seen snow for 30 years. I normally wear progressive lenses, so to have prescription glacier glasses made up would be pretty expensive just for a one-off trip of 3-4 hours. On the other hand, I don't want to risk snow blindness.

If it's a real danger at that altitude, would clip-on UV lenses be a workable solution, or would too much UV reach the eye from around the lenses?

I think your chances are slim to become snowblind after 3-4 hours. Regular sunglasses or clip-ons would be better though. Personally I haven't seen any one wearing glacierglasses in the last 10 years or so, but I heard it is getting back in fashion again.

just wear your goggles around town... ;\)

or follow sanno's lead and wear spoons

hopefully it will be snowing hard and you won't have any need for glasses. even if it is sunny you will be fine for 3-4 hours in the sun. there'll just be heaps of glare, but i doubt you'll do any permanent damage