• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: tsondaboy
thats Chodaboy from the movie Orgazmo and its not a horn. Thats were I got my nickname from, although I have changed the spelling to tsondaboy. ;\)

066.jpg

thats funny, I saw you wearing something similar, though not as much, on the 4th mate... confused.gif What was up with tsondagirl wearing the pirate costume?

Well fella's, my helmet took a beating today!

We were coming back from Hanazono and had just got some magnificent pic's of Yotei in the clear - the clearest and most beautiful it has been since we have been here.

I sent the kids ahead (as always Mum takes up the rear to ensure the "Ohana means family and family means no-one gets left behind" remains our family creed), and was chasing the 10yr old down - when WHAM! From nowhere a speeding Aussie male Skier took me out like a bowling pin from behind. Like the bowling pin I became airborne and landed on my head.

Lost conciousness for a short minnie, and spent a good 5 minutes or more trying to focus my eyes when I did come to. By his expletives I assume he decided it was me to blame - umm yeah right! But his 2 companions were much more reasonable, and at least stopped to ask if I was alright. I said "Yes, thanks to my helmet!" but in reality I was swallowing blood and unable to focus my eyes. The men skied off, but I could hear the woman saying to them "Shouldn't we stay with her, she is not getting up..." to which they basically said Nah, she'll be right (but padded with expletives).

One friend was in visual, waiting and keeping an eye that I was OK - she almost clipped out and climbed back up to me. And the other skied ahead to let the kids know what was taking so long. The one that skied ahead saw this group pass, and the same guy was speeding again and yelling WoooHoooo...what a KNOB! I am embarressed to be his countryman/woman. In the 9 months I have been on a board - even with the small amount of actual control I have of a board I have NEVER hit someone from behind on a run. I have had to swerve to avoid, and even ditch to avoid people, but I have never sent someone into the air.

Back on topic - if it were not for the helmet I would not be telling my story now. I am hurt, yes. My back, neck AND head. Tomorrow is my last day to board, and hopefully I will be OK to get back up there. But at least I am not in a hospital!

BUY a helmet. WEAR a helmet. As I say and now as I KNOW - it is not about YOU, it is about the other n00bz out there!

Sorry dwh, back on topic.

It's been 2 years now since I felt the nessecity to wear a helmet on a slope. Not so many shops here have helmets on sale, so still checking steepandcheap to see if this shows up.

Fuse_BloodRed_b.jpg

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
Well fella's, my helmet took a beating today!

We were coming back from Hanazono and had just got some magnificent pic's of Yotei in the clear - the clearest and most beautiful it has been since we have been here.

I sent the kids ahead (as always Mum takes up the rear to ensure the "Ohana means family and family means no-one gets left behind" remains our family creed), and was chasing the 10yr old down - when WHAM! From nowhere a speeding Aussie male Skier took me out like a bowling pin from behind. Like the bowling pin I became airborne and landed on my head.

Lost conciousness for a short minnie, and spent a good 5 minutes or more trying to focus my eyes when I did come to. By his expletives I assume he decided it was me to blame - umm yeah right! But his 2 companions were much more reasonable, and at least stopped to ask if I was alright. I said "Yes, thanks to my helmet!" but in reality I was swallowing blood and unable to focus my eyes. The men skied off, but I could hear the woman saying to them "Shouldn't we stay with her, she is not getting up..." to which they basically said Nah, she'll be right (but padded with expletives).

One friend was in visual, waiting and keeping an eye that I was OK - she almost clipped out and climbed back up to me. And the other skied ahead to let the kids know what was taking so long. The one that skied ahead saw this group pass, and the same guy was speeding again and yelling WoooHoooo...what a KNOB! I am embarressed to be his countryman/woman. In the 9 months I have been on a board - even with the small amount of actual control I have of a board I have NEVER hit someone from behind on a run. I have had to swerve to avoid, and even ditch to avoid people, but I have never sent someone into the air.

Back on topic - if it were not for the helmet I would not be telling my story now. I am hurt, yes. My back, neck AND head. Tomorrow is my last day to board, and hopefully I will be OK to get back up there. But at least I am not in a hospital!

BUY a helmet. WEAR a helmet. As I say and now as I KNOW - it is not about YOU, it is about the other n00bz out there!

Don't sound like they were noobs, more like knobs and hooligans. I suppose you did not manage to get a pic of their outfit, who would being in your state. At least visit the first aid post to get it recorded, and patched up of course. Oh, and hope you're OK too.

Mamabear this type of people really pisses me off. How could it be your fault that some A-hole came crashing on you from behind.

If I was around, I would see to it that he would need a plastic surgeon to bring his nose back to its original place. mad.gif

Mamabear, hope you're ok! Pricks like these are what gives us Aussies a bad name. (that and mullets!) But thankfully there are also sensible ones like you! Hope you can finish off your ski-trip on a high note tomorrow. thumbsup.gif

Thanks for the concern guys. Had a nice dinner at Wild Bills with the crew and feeling OK. Definately got concussion, but there would need to be a bone protuding from the skin to hold me back on the final day!!!

I KNOW it was not my fault. Not only did he totally take me out from behind, I was holding my line and had been for quite a while, no sudden changes of direction to confuse him. And you are right Thurs - he was not a newbie - he had plenty of hours on ski's, just no respect for the Alpine Code.

I am just really really really glad I have a helmet.

And I am really proud of my 2 female friends who hung with me and sorted the kids out. They were fantastic, and no matter how dodgy I was feeling, they really came to the party in making sure I got down OK - bearing in mind I was a long way from the base! I toughed it out, yes - but if I had been on my own and disoriented as I was it might not have been such a low stress descent.

Buddies and Helmets - a good combo.

jeez Mama, I hate jerks like that, I hope he breaks his leg

and poles himself on a tree to the point where he can no longer have children, because Australia is already full of arrogant turds like that. We don't need them breeding...

Glad you are ok mate, and this DEFINITELY makes my mind up to wear a helmet.

Glad to hear a few of you will strap on a skid lid after hearing my story! I recommend it.

It is the first time in 4 ski trips that I have been totalled, but I will never venture onto a groomer without the skid lid again!

Despite the howling winds today I still got out there for a few hours to make sure that the wipeout was not the last memory of my trip.

This trip I went from confidently linking turns on greens, to confidently linking turns on all reds, and with the winds today good sections of the reds were "ICE ICE BABY", but injured and all I still linked all the way down successfully and without fear. Not a bad come back - I am proud of myself for keeping it gutsy!

I had a few narky sore spots in my neck and back that I am sure are going to be worse after HOURS in economy seats flying home, but a good result really.

CYA Hokk's .. off to Tokyo in the morning! I think we might be back to Harajuku on Saturday if the kids have any say in it!

I'd want one in a pipe or for woods... I wouldn't ware one on any runs I've ever been on tho - unless there were like, rocks or something...

Heh! That would be embarrassing - and pointless.

Kinda like wearing a helmet on a mamachali. :-/

Originally Posted By: Tesselator
I'd want one in a pipe or for woods... I wouldn't ware one on any runs I've ever been on tho - unless there were like, rocks or something...

Heh! That would be embarrassing - and pointless.

Kinda like wearing a helmet on a mamachali. :-/

Really?? I think mama-chari's are death traps for young kids. The way the seats are constructed, the kids can't actually get out should the bike go over. A 2 -year-old's skull is not that tough against concrete, ashphalt or tar seal.

I wear a helmet even on piste. Why? I find it warmer than a hat, and I paid for it, so I might as well wear it. Many years ago, people used to think that cyclists who wore helmets on the road were gay. I used to like mountain biking without a helmet but looking back, it was pretty dumb.

Yeah, I read her post. And I feel sorry for her. And If I were

around when that happened I PROMISE that guy would have a ski or

board permanently embedded in his -- Well he'd have a brand new

body-part to deal with - let's put it that way.

But am I going to start wearing helmets because of it? Nope!

I calculate that I've spent about 800 long days (actually) on the

slopes so far in my lifetime with more coming. The number of times

I was hit by another skier or snowboarder: Once when I was 6 years

old. The number of times I've run into anyone else (going more

than 5mph): zero. The number of people I (we) kicked out of the

park for speeding (working as patrol): about 5 per year. Do I

know the risks? Yup, you bet.

But there's more to it than that. I'm never going to ski a crowded

hill or an over crowded park! I stay on the advanced runs only and

even then only when I see that people are using their heads and not

being inconsiderate. If there's any BS like that I wait at the top

till they leave.

I think it's MUCH MUCH better to teach skiers this kind of social

comportment rather than strapping on a skid-lid and saying GO FOR IT.

It's why you see people standing at the top of intermediate and

advanced runs waiting to go at the safest and most opportune time.

If you ski or board like you're supposed to you don't need a helmet

unless like I said, you're terrain skiing or tricking.

Anyway, that's just me. I'm not suggesting others do what I do. If

they want to wear a helmet that's kewl. But if too many people start

doing that instead of skiing safe in the first place pretty soon it's

going to become mandatory and that'll ruin it for a lot of people IMO.

--

PS: Mamachalis don't come with baby seats. Those are extra and not

what I was talking about.

PS: PS: Yeah, if you were Mountain, Trials, or MXing off road without

a helmet (and a cup!) that was really dumb.

We'll it happen to me Thursday in Hokkaido. I was on the Hanazono side of Niseko in some gorgeous balls deep pow, it was before 930 so much of it was still pretty untracked. I was blasting and looking forward to launching of a natural berm I had seen on the way up.

Unfortunatly there was a guy helping his girlfriend dig her way out just on the downside. By the time I saw them it was to late. I did manage to miss the both of them but the landing was doomed. I went through the washing machine and whilst I was tamahawking some how one of my polls wacked me on the back of the head.

Not hard enough to do any real damage but I have a nice lump now and its still pretty tender. I don't know why my dumbarse keeps insisting on leaving my helmet at home but that was the last time. The more I thought about it the more I realized I was lucky that it wasn't the point end of the poll that hit me.

I think im going to be a helmet everyday kind of guy from now on.