Went to Muikamachi Hakkai-san today. Saw this guy on a snowboard using (ski) poles and going down the hill like a skier. Really strange looking it was.

Is there a name for this behaviour, other than "snowboarder using poles"? lol.gif

Ummm...

Crazy man?

They would come in handy on some of these flat spot traverse type runs and links (ala Holiday back from Hanazono), but wouldn't they cramp your riding style otherwise?

Maybe he had picked them up and was just bringing them back for someone - you know like dropped from a chairlift or injured person or whatever...

Not just picked up Mamabear - he was obviously very used to using them, he looked really skilled at this boarding-with-poles thing. Looked quite impressive actually, in a strange kinda way. I saw him 3 times during the morning, each time going down the huge moguls on Hakkai-san full speed!

Originally Posted By: samurai
ex-skier/carver who won't give up is poof-sticks.

lol.gif Ruh Roh, somebody just poured fuel onto a fire.

Dammit muikabochi, I followed this thread thinking it was going to be an interesting article on Snowboarding in Poland.... wave.gif

I think it is called "monoski", there was a thread about it last year.

I saw a guy last year at Okutadami, I think they use Alpine snowboards with the bindings placed parallel to each other like on skis. It is supposed to be popular in Europe.

If he had a single board and the bindings were set not dissimilar to a skiier then it is mono-skiing... If he is a on a single board and his bindings are set just like a snowboarder he is one crazy dude!!! Poles would be awesome when you are on one of those bloody cat tracks that are almost dead flat....

There are mono-ski boards specifically for mono skiing.... Not having done it, but I reckon that they would be heaps easier to ski in powder over proper ski's... I mean I am a snowboarder and can't control two things at once, that's why I snowboard!!!

I have same goal of 30 days, but this is my first season so not every day is a quality day. The quality is steadily improving.

Back on topic: I want some poles for the cat tracks. I also want to have some poles so I can flail them around like some of the skiiers and try to get some DOOM/QUAKE head-shots in, particularly using the poles as a weapon to get in the gondola line.

Originally Posted By: tsondaboy
Its not a race for me, just something to remind me my 30 days goal for this season. smile.gif

I am sure that there are people with more than 20 days out already.

Bizzarre, that's my target as well. Kind of on track... but a little concerned, am going back to the UK briefly in early March. Will be happier when I hit the halfway mark.
 Originally Posted By: Samui Kitsune
Back on topic: I want some poles for the cat tracks. I also want to have some poles so I can flail them around like some of the skiiers and try to get some DOOM/QUAKE head-shots in, particularly using the poles as a weapon to get in the gondola line.

Samui, did you notice this thread. \:\)
http://www.snowjapanforums.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/250888#Post250888
 Originally Posted By: tsondaboy
I think it is called "monoski", there was a thread about it last year.
I saw a guy last year at Okutadami, I think they use Alpine snowboards with the bindings placed parallel to each other like on skis. It is supposed to be popular in Europe.

No this wasnt monoski which was popular in Europe in the 80's very rarely see it now.
He was riding a snowboard and using poles

10 or 15 years ago, it was quite common to see boarders using poles. They transfered over from skiing and missed the timing mechanism. It was considered retarded then too.

However, I haven't seen it for at least 5 years or so. Which could indicate that the number of beginner and intermediate snowboarders that have transfered over from skiing has diminished.