• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Hornster
What I like about Niseko (apart from fantastic powder) is that there is plenty powder runs to be found inbounds without having to worry about the hazards involved with off-piste skiing.

I thought this was going to be your first trip to Niseko Hornster (according to your 1st post) but here you sound like an old hand talking about the place ;\) .

Just to confirm terminology, off-piste means off the groomed runs. In Niseko there is not plenty of powder runs to be found inbounds without going off-piste. There are a few advanced runs that are not groomed but these get tracked out real quick. If you want powder here you need to go off-piste. Now there is inbounds off-piste and then there are 'ski at your own risk' areas that you access through gates. Inbounds off-piste areas are extensive in Niseko and in these areas a transceiver is really not required. If going through the gates then sure having a transceiver isn't a bad idea.

And for the record I often don't buckle up....I'm just such a risk taking adrenaline junkie! \:D

I'm surprised here in the land of conformity there is no such group as the NSP to help set standards. Basic First aid takes a few days to teach. A full WEC ccourse takes several months generally.

Originally Posted By: Mamabear

I had lunch at King Bell today and sat next to an Aussie Family on ski's - I was interested and got chatting to them because one young man had the battery powered insole heaters that Thursday told me about yesterday - talk about fortuitous!

The same family were carrying beacons, and had backpacks which I suspect contained all the avie stuff they might need. They were heading out to Strawberry Fields, and love the back country - so they came prepared.

Fortuitous, indeed. wakaranai.gif

http://www.niseko-higashiyama.co.jp/tv/index.html

Please see Vol 6 to see a little about what our Patrol is doing

We have guys who have spent up to 4 seasons in North America and we get experts to teach here, many of our patrol are also full-time which helps

This episode looks at Mizuno no Sawa but is not the main job of our patrol, it is part of what they do

Originally Posted By: Niseko Higashiyama Resort
http://www.niseko-higashiyama.co.jp/tv/index.html
Please see Vol 6 to see a little about what our Patrol is doing
We have guys who have spent up to 4 seasons in North America and we get experts to teach here, many of our patrol are also full-time which helps
This episode looks at Mizuno no Sawa but is not the main job of our patrol, it is part of what they do

thanks for posting that link - very similar to the article you guys had run the previous year in BravoSki. Glad youre taking more steps to increase safety up at Niseko. Did you ever post a patrol at the top of the peak (or at a gate accessing the peak) to check riders for avie gear? I remember that being mentioned too. I havent been to Niseko in many years but am looking forward to a trip there again cool.gif