Exactly, but not even need to get off. I just U-turn at the toll gate! \:D

Also you can do it with 1 card, but you need to drive between 2 discount zones.

ie: get on the highway before 6 AM (even 1 min is ok) get off sometime after 6 and then get off at your destination after 7. You will get 50% twice. ;\)

I was trying to check that yesterday for Ewok. You will definetly need 2 cards to do the 350~400 km root and it wont be significanetly cheaper than the night time discount.

The only advantage is that you will be able to get the same discount even if you drive in the evening or early in the morning.

Originally Posted By: tsondaboy
I was trying to check that yesterday for Ewok. You will definetly need 2 cards to do the 350~400 km root and it wont be significanetly cheaper than the night time discount.
The only advantage is that you will be able to get the same discount even if you drive in the evening or early in the morning.

Sorry Tson, I'm a little stupid so could you explain 1.) the night discount and 2.) how 2 cards works for me.

Night discount means that you will have to drive between 12:00 AM and 4:00 AM. You get a 30% discount on the toll, no mater how many km you drive on the highway.

12:00 to 4:00 AM is the night discount time zone.

Now there are 2 more zones, the afternoon, morning zone and the late night early morning zone.

The late night/early morning zone is between 22:00 and 6:00. You get a 50% discount (in some cases only 30% if you drive less than 100 km on the highway.

The morning afternoon zone is between 6:00 and 9:00 and 17:00 and 20:00, again with the 100 km limit.

The root from Osaka is about 400 km, which means that you have to split it into 4, 100 km parts.

You get into the highway sometime in the morning and do the first part with one of the cards. Get out once and swap the cards and do the second 100 km part. Pass trough the gate at the 3rd 100 km point befor 6:00 AM and swap the cards again. And do the same for the 4th part.

Night discount means that you will have to drive between 12:00 AM and 4:00 AM. You get a 30% discount on the toll, no mater how many km you drive on the highway.

12:00 to 4:00 AM is the night discount time zone.

Now there are 2 more zones, the afternoon, morning zone and the late night early morning zone.

The late night/early morning zone is between 22:00 and 6:00. You get a 50% discount (in some cases only 30% if you drive less than 100 km on the highway.
The morning afternoon zone is between 6:00 and 9:00 and 17:00 and 20:00, again with the 100 km limit.

The root from Osaka is about 400 km, which means that you have to split it into 4, 100 km parts.
You get into the highway sometime in the morning and do the first part with one of the cards. Get out once and swap the cards and do the second 100 km part. Pass trough the gate at the 3rd 100 km point befor 6:00 AM and swap the cards again. And do the same for the 4th part.

Why do I get more discount (50%) between 22:00 and 6:00 than between 12:00 to 4:00 AM (30%)? It makes the second discount redundant doesn't it?

Secondly, having two cards would only get me 50% on 4 trips. Why is that any different from 50% on 1 trip? What is the benefit of getting off the highway?

I also do not follow logic of the above, and I've never experienced any 50% discount anywhere.

When I go to Nagano from Kansai I make sure I leave at about 18:00 to arrive at 00:05AM and get the 30% night discount. Its actually the time most convenient to drive for me anyway so the discount is a nice free bonus.

Originally Posted By: bobby12
I also do not follow logic of the above, and I've never experienced any 50% discount anywhere.

When I go to Nagano from Kansai I make sure I leave at about 18:00 to arrive at 00:05AM and get the 30% night discount. Its actually the time most convenient to drive for me anyway so the discount is a nice free bonus.

Bob, that's the only experience I've had as well. By the way, where do you get off and how far does it take you to Haks from there?

You can get a 50% discount only if you drive less than 100 km on the highway (that's why you have to get out before the 100 km point and get back on to do 100 more) and only in the morning and afternoon time zones.

I will try to post more details later. If you guys tell me where you get on and off the highway, I will try to see if you can get a better deal in the morning or afternoon zones.

If you can read Japanese, here is the home page that explains how ETC works.

http://www.w-nexco.co.jp/

I normally go Nagano city and stay with family there. Nagano city to hakuba is about 50mins or so.

The 50% discount sounds like too much hassle, I'd save an extra 2000yen on that 10000yen journey but it'd be too much stress trying to get it right, not to mention getting two ETC cards!

You can get a 50% discount only if you drive less than 100 km on the highway (that's why you have to get out before the 100 km point and get back on to do 100 more) and only in the morning and afternoon time zones.
I will try to post more details later. If you guys tell me where you get on and off the highway, I will try to see if you can get a better deal in the morning or afternoon zones.

If you can read Japanese, here is the home page that explains how ETC works.
http://www.w-nexco.co.jp/

Thanks Tson, if it's for the sake of a few thousand yen, it's not really worth worrying about (in my case). I don't drive because I don't have a vehicle but I should have a Delica van kitted out for living in for next season. There's a chance I'll be able to spend 3 or 4 days each week up there so I could try getting there without using a h/way.