I've been out for awhile due to babies and knee surgeries, and I don't have much cartilage left on either side. Last season I went snowboarding one moderate day at Naeba, but the hammering and shock put the hurt on my knees for three weeks afterward. I'm thinking that skiing posture and independent-leg suspension will be easier on my poor boys than boarding.

But what kind of boots and skis should I buy? I haven't looked at two plank setups since the 80s, and haven't shopped or looked at mags for gear in about 3 seasons.

As for skiing style, before I took up boarding, I liked to go fast, carve it up a bit, and do some moguls and powder glades. All mountain stuff I guess. I don't want spatula powder skis or big-mountain skis for Niigata day trips. Ability level was advanced intermediate. I'm sure I'll be super great now, after doing all the same things on a board.

178cm tall

67kg

Recommendations, anybody?

Atomic metron's are great all-mountain skis. Atomic markets them as a one-ski quiver.

So they're not intense like a racing ski or powder ski but they've still got a lot of personality and are great on a variety of conditions. They seem to get really good reviews. I'd give them a good review.

I was skiing on a pair of Hart's a couple years ago. I returned them and would never buy Hart again.

How about either a Karhu Kodiak or Black Diamond Stigma. Both skis are about the same dimensions with about 80mm under foot.

My wife has a pair of Karhu Betty's the female equivalent of the Kodiak and loves them.