Originally Posted By: spook
surely many people (myself included) would take this as a challenge and try and see how fast them can bomb it down a run?

Yeah, unless they have speed limits and punishments they are able to carry out, it would be more of an attraction than a deterrent.

Speed is all well and good if you can control it and not take other skiers out. I have seen some pretty nuts stuff over this long weekend. People absolutely fanging it down the slopes and knocking over little kids on the green runs...pretty poor form.

When these speedsters are going fast from top to bottom, surely there are area's (like the green/family slopes) where they should be reminded to slow it down for the safety of others. And especially when coming into the lift lines. The amount of out of control speed demons that have come into the lift queue either narrowly missing or actually hitting people over the last few days of the long weekend has been ridiculous.

But why not install a speed camera on a race course section of the mountain so that those who want to push the limits can do so and get their kicks away from the kiddies in ski school.

That kind of behaviour is from people who can't control their speed. The intermediates if you like. Good skiers will not do that.

I have seen it alot these few years Mamabear. In Niseko, they are invariably from Aussie boarders who scrape it up into the lift queue, then go "woohoo" as they cut into the queue.

Not arguing the point, but we have had a few push through the queue as if they are Gods Greatest Gift since we have been here - and not an Aussie among them. Mind you we could have sorted them out had they been!

Yesterday a female skier in full piece suit - lovely eighties design - pushed past 15 people behind us to try and split through my friend and I. She close the gap eyeballed the woman and said "I don't think so LOVE!"....so she went around - another 20 people to get right in the front of the queue. My best guess at Nationality - some kind of European. But the other queue jumpers, and queue crashers have all been Chinese.

It ticks me that they go so close up in the queue when they can't control it. I would rather throw myself down in a heap than slam into some kid in a queue! If you are THAT good on a board then scooting to the lift is not going to be a problem for you is it?

LOL!

I live in Claremont!! We have a huge Asian population - Half the kids at my boys school are either Chinese or Japanese!

aaaahhhhh....we might have pegged it wrong in much the same way as Europeans might mistake me for a KIWI...close...

Editted to add: Also I was only in China a month or so ago. I still have a few phrases...

Hee hee...if I stayed here until March I would need a speed camera on me Thurs! It is amazing what a difference a couple of days in Niseko's Powder does to a girl - learnt to do 360's today - natural AND goofy! That kinda gives a girl the confidence to go a bit faster ... then ....BAM - Face down in the snow - and YUP you guessed it HUBBY had the video running!!

LOL

Wish I had a camera on me for my wipeout today!

First Tracks - up in the Gondola with the boy, chasing him down the ungroomed underneath the Gondola - and BAM - caught an edge. Triple flip and the board ended up rammed in hard on the tip - looked like a flaming headstone!!

Got hurt, but I am going back for more tomorrow morning.

As for sharing - my computer is not downloading from Papabears camera for some reason - so all the stuff is on his, but the editting package is on mine - so we will have to wait until we get home before I can get the raw stuff into uploadable content ... but why not - you all deserve a good laugh!

My wife tagged along the instructor on an extended non beginner ski course several years ago and they had GPS

Max downhill speed on the run to the base was 103klm/hr mostly on green runs. bit of black at top then blue. Start was an old racing downhill course.

80 is a bit fast

100 is scary

>100 is heart racing

whoooosh