Hi folks,

First post so be gentle please! I searched the forum for an answer to this but couldn't find any.

I'm going to Nozawa Onsen on 24th Jan for 3 days for my first time snowboarding and I'm a bit concerned about insurance.

What do foreigners who are living in Japan and go snowboarding/skiing do for medical/emergency insurance?

I'm here in Japan as an intra-company transferee on a 1 year working visa. I have general medical insurance provided by my employer in UK but it doesn't cover any winter sports. I don't have any Japanese health insurance.

My friend recently went to Nozawa and claims that he got insurance with his lift pass. Can someone confirm if this is true? Do I need to pay any extra on top of the base lift pass cost? What should I ask for when I get the lift pass to make sure I get insurance included?

Ideally I'd like to get insurance with the lift pass (if I can!) but otherwise I'll need to get separate trip insurance. Are there any providers (AIU etc) that you'd recommend?

I'm looking forward to my first trip up into the Japanese mountains \:\)

Cheers,

Donnie

I dont know how that liftpass insurance works, but if i were you i would just sort out some snow holiday insurance online - for a week it wont cost much - a hell of a lot cheaper than medical treatment. I figure its worth while, if you get to the slope and they dont offer insurance with the lift pass you will probably be so psyched that you will just go riding. If you injure yourself then - you are screwed - for a minimal cost, its probably worth wile. Thats my 2 yen.

Um funny should you mention this as a friend of mine commented on this exact same thing - she is worried that I will cause a pile up because of me being a 'boarder ;).

Try checking out some private insurance companies - the one I am with covers winter sports, but of course have to pay a premium - maybe have a look at your insurance, if you have it, and see if you are covered. If not, have a look in metropolis as have occasionally seen a couple of companies in there.

I know in Europe many of the National ski clubs offer insurance. Not sure if they cover outside of Europe or not. Try checking with possibly the Deutscher Skiverband (DSV). There web site is German only. Other then that sorry I really cant help.

It certainly is worth having. Try on-line!

It is not just hurting ourselves that we need to consider - it is other people hurting you....the most experienced boarder of our party is popping my stash of prescription anti-inflammatories today after a boarder slammed into him when he was standing in the lift queue. Never saw him coming - no warning - WHAM! - might have torn something in his shoulder - but I hope not.

At Niseko, you can pay 100yen extra for the insurance on top of your lift ticket. Noz would probably be a similar price.

I never go on a trip without insurance. In fact I think I'm over insured but I still pile it on.

My company insures me for life which covers travel overseas, business or leisure.

I have my own life insurance.

I have golf insurance in case I bonce someone on the course but this also covers general travel.

And then for ski trips I always get ski insurance with the mostest coverage for the whole period, which is 2 weeks max.

Imagine it if you don't have insurance and you hurt somebody badly on the slopes. Good luck to ya.

Originally Posted By: thursday.
I have golf insurance in case I bonce someone on the course but this also covers general travel.

Do you have hole in one insurance?
 Originally Posted By: stemik
 Originally Posted By: thursday.

Do you have hole in one insurance?

Yes indeed. It's afixed amount and you need to present the course cert. Not had to claim this one yet.

Thanks for the responses.

I've asked my employer to check if winter sports are included in my insurance - probably not.

I bought insurance from the Japanese tour company. It was pretty cheap at 2,500 Yen.

I'll also get insurance with my lift pass if it's possible. I'll confirm here when I get back.

Donnie

Indo - A couple of questions, did you do this online, or by telephone - and do they speak English?

My situation is kinda complex... I'm UK Expat living in Beijing, and have company insurance that will cover me for basic snow-sports, but specifically excludes off-piste. I want to "top-up" my cover somehow so that I can ensure that I'm covered wherever I choose to ski...

Thursday - I'm presuming the Niseko 100 Yen insurance doesn't cover me if I hike the peak - or does it? Where do you get your 2 weeks ski insurance cover from?

Many thanks for your information!

ShayDn,

I don't think any Insurance companies will cover off-piste. I may be wrong but I haven't found any myself. Insurance companies will also have very vague definitions of where you are insured and where you are not.

Even in the trees between two pistes is considered off piste with all the companies I used to deal with. The only thing I can suggest is that if you need medical assistance, get back onto a groomed area before calling so that the site report specifically indicates you are not off piste when injured or needing assistance. You will almost always need to mention that you will be skiing /snowboarding too as that is another 'small print' point that is essential to mention.

If you find one that covers you 'off piste' please let us know.

mmmmm.... my travel insurance has covered me for snowboarding but bizarrely enough it asked the question on the form: "Do you require extra cover for snowboarding?" but there was no such question for Ski-ing.....?????

It was not a huge extra expense, but I was really confused as to why Ski was included and board excluded unless you paid the excess charges! From what I have read, and what I have witnesses there are more skiers carried down the mountain injured than boarders. And watching the falls from the lifts I always wince in pain just WATCHING those legs go in different directions - not matter how many flips a snowboarder does at least thier legs are "splinted" for the ride. So even if the injury risk is even stevens - why does it cost extra for snowboarding insurance?

Are they just out of date?

I'm a member of the Ski Club of Great Britain, and their insurance scheme covers:

"On and off piste skiing and snowboarding (with or without a guide), snow parks, cross country skiing, ski touring, heli skiing, recreational racing, snow shoeing, dog sledding, bob sleighing, ice skating, curling, parapenting and tobogganing, all included as standard."

Unfortunately it's only available to UK and Ireland residents, and when I looked in more detail at the company that actually provides the insurance (P J Hayman) it seems they don't have a product that covers my case...

Will look in more detail at AIU - thanks Indo, just hope they will cover non-JP residents...

Originally Posted By: wattiewatson
I dont think Nozawa has insurance included in the ticket price or as an option. However i dont buy day passes so im not sure.

matt

My girlfriend asked at the lift pass booth and was told that insurance wasn't included at nozawa and wasn't available as an extra.

Originally Posted By: Indo
I just paid 1,500 for the bells and whistles insurance for 6 days Hokkers trip with AIU for winter sports.

That's a good tip, thanks!

Luckily it turns out my secondment insurance does include winter sports \:\)