I use poly... and whatever that "UnderArmour" stuff is made of. For me, it's mostly a matter of what's available - I'd try wool if I happened to find some.

Wool is probably better for the environment, goes longer between washings without becoming heinously stinky, and dries faster (assuming similar fabric weights).

silk and merino for me.

I'll never go back to synthetic after stocking up on silk and wool layers.

unless I'm camping of course, snow camping with wool could suck as it doesn't dry nearly as quickly as poly fibers.

silk-silk-merino-down-goretex is my blizzard set up.

Originally Posted By: OkemoLoon
Gotta love the feel of silk undies

The police warned you about stealing girls knickers from the washing line Okemo!!! \:D

I go with the Heat Tech numbers from Uni Qlo, cheap and warm, Stemik recomended them to me and they are the shit. Of course silk sounds nice but also a bit pricy!!

Wool easily wins over polyester - especially when you start to sweat a bit and the polyester starts to itch.

Also little trick, if using wool, get some scotch guard and little spray over some wool. That way, if you do fall over and get snow on it. it shouldn't melt on it and just fall away.

I wear all artificial fibres.

Cotton goes cold and wet, and out of shape. Wool is diing, especially Australian wool (merino long hair) stinks like shit, itches like hell and take weeks to dry.

Australian merino is shite. The Ozzie sheep industry is dieing because the product doesn't sell.

Merino nest to the skin? You are an Olympic Champion: Itching for Oz.

Originally Posted By: Indo
who gives a rats ass how much they cost..
Bottom line is they work.
Why fork out more when they get the job done?

Had a laugh actually, cos Uniqlo were trying to take over a big retail clothing chain here in the same segment. Only the target was about 4 times their size and controlled the very same sources that UQ bought from. Funny that. Says a lot about their top level.

Try wearing "good ole Ozzie" bathers. Wet wool next to the skin. How about "Itching for the Southern Hemisphere".?

Natural fibres are mostly crap. Merino is right there with all the others which are dying because no-one want to wear unconfortable fibres in their raw state.

More specifically, old fibres are either cold when wet, take a generation to dry, or both. Wool against the skin itches like hell, stinks like shit and takes forever to dry.

Call me old fashioned, but modern techno-fibres are streets ahead of the shite I was forced to wear as a child.