Niseko is about 30 minutes drive from both Rusutsu and Kiroro, but hours away from Tomamu. Tomamu's sister resort is Sahoro.

I like Tomamu because their facilities are quite luxurious, especially the spa. No special reason why it had to be this time. I just like rotating from place to place. There are so many great places in Japan its always hard to choose.

I am retiring next month, and will be moving back to Okinawa in June so our snowboarding from here on out will be back to Hokkaido via JAL Ski tours...you can go from Okinawa to Hokkaido (Rusutsu) and stay for a week of boarding/skiing for about the same price that air line tickets cost to go from Okinawa to up here in Misawa/Aomori. There are a lot of good resorts up here, but the airfare alone is too much money...I suspect that we'll still try to come back up here though if we can stay with the friends we've made while we've been up here...

Good question, gg. I do seem to like Hokkaido more than Honshu for skiing. Your question made me do some soul searching and ask myself why.

Let me see:

1. The snow is usually better but not always.

2. The airport to resort commute is usually more tedious in Honshu.

3. I have more J-ski-friends in Hokkaido but that may change as I make more friends in Honshu.

4. Echineko likes me to take her to Hokkaido.

5. The ski-jos in Hokkaido are usually less crowded.

6. The people in Hokkaido in general seem a bit more friendly than in Honshu.

I guess a combination of the above lol.gif

I like Tomamu very much. Tomamu is different from Niseko, more romantic, very beautiful evergreen forest and you can enjoy fragrance of pine (Ezo matsu). If you are with someone who isn't into skiing, Tomamu is very good place to go. You can try snow activities like dog sled, snow shoeing, Ice Dome...

I heard that Tomamu is like Finland. I've never been to Finland, so I don't know it's true or not.

What do you think, Markie?