I just spent a week at Rusutsu. Never been to anywhere else up there so I can't compare but what I do know is there is a lot of off piste stuff up there and you don't need snow shoes for any of it. Most of the off piste stuff you can hit right off the lifts/gondolas, and when they run out, they put you back onto a regular gerende or right back at the lift. And no walking either. I've been told that Niseko is "better". If that's possible, than one of these days I will have to go there but to be honest, for the money and travel time, and the fact that I now know every nook and cranny of it, I don't have a reason to go anywhere else but Rusustu when I go back.

if ya wanna experience what niseko `used` to be like:- true cultural experience,heaps o`snow,no crowds,great locals... check out AKABIRA near Asahidake. i still rate that as one of tha best places i`v riden.

just dont tell anybody else ;\)

We just did Noz, Niseko and rusutsu. In my mind rusustu was the best by far. So much easy to access off piste trees. fresh tracks all day...we didnt have enough local knowledge to get the best out of niseko and didnt have that much powder experience either to try stuff alone....

niseko la ponte was great though. as long as the quad runs (not when windy)

Sakebomb which of those you listed do off piste trees, bowls and steep (ish)...for next years trip?

Friend just came back from Hokkaido - they spend some time in Niseko but also they went to Rusutsu and Furano. Rusutsu was the place they liked best, said Niseko was getting a bit too crowded in more than one way and Furano just didn't do it for them. I'll be getting more of the lowdown over some beers at the weekend.

Is Sapporo Kokusai any good. You seem well up on the Hokkaido things Markie... how many times have you been over there then now?

Hi rach, I usually visit there to ski at least once a year. Sapporo Kokusai is not bad for terrain and facilities by Japanese stardards. The main negative is that it is a bit crowded. My Hokkaido ranking for skiing are 1. Rusutsu, 2. Niseko, 3. Furano, 4. Kiroro and 5. Tomamu

Please don't call me "dear" while echineko is around. I'd hate to see nasty claw marks on those lovely thighs you are flaunting.

My best advice on Honshu is "don't take my advice on Honshu" since I am really not an expert and have only visited too few places there for a comparison. Fattwins is well qualified for that role.

Supposedly "rowdy Australians in Niseko" are even making the news at home in Australia. Crazy ... how that place has changed.

Where is Niseko Laponte though? Has the name of this place changed perhaps since I was in Niseko 5 years ago ...