A sad story (with a lesson I think)

Quote:
The boy wanted his father to look at his Xbox 360 video game system.

The father didn't want to. An argument ensued.

The boy handed his father a rifle. Shoot me, he said.

So the father did.

Apparently true!

State police at Fern Ridge say that scenario played out Friday night between 60-year-old James Stanley Niedosik and his 17-year-old son.

The boy ended up in Lehigh Valley Hospital-Cedar Crest with a .22-caliber bullet lodged in his skull behind his ear. Niedosik ended up in Monroe County Prison on $250,000 bail, charged with aggravated assault, simple assault, reckless endangerment and endangering the welfare of a child.

A woman identifying herself as Jeanie Niedosik, James' ex-wife and the boy's mother, answered the phone at the Jackson Township residence this evening.

''One's in jail, one's in the hospital,'' she said. ''I won't know exactly what happened until I talk to [my son]. He's incoherent yet; they have him heavily sedated.''

She said she wasn't present for the shooting but doesn't believe it unfolded the way police described.

''He did the shooting but it was an accidental thing that took place,'' she said.

Not that I know the story, but...

"The boy handed his father a rifle. Shoot me, he said." before pushing his father against the wall while throwing knives around his silhouette.

Obviously there is more to the story than six sentences quoted above? It would be nice to hear the whole story before dropping my jaw in angst.

I can't imagine what more could be added to the story to have it make sense.

Who cares if it was an accident or not, the boy is dead and you don't point a loaded gun at someone you are not prepared to kill.

(Unless perhaps they were being attacked by someone else and you were trying to get the other guy?)