So, I ride a 162 Custom Wide with 28.5cm boot. It takes much energy to get it rocking from edge to edge, but I manage. I love the stability at high speed, I like the edge hold. In the open powder, including deep and steep, the Custom Wide is holding its own, but the nose dives often (I have to bounce up often to stay floating, but it floats). In the trees or moguls, forget about it -- I am better of finding the nearest exit. No way, can I turn the board fast enough. Oh yeah, the base on the Custom is crazy fast (or is it my excellent waxing job, =( ).

So, I am looking for another board to ride all-mountain, but more manageable in the powder between trees. I see the Burton Malolo and GNU Mullet get recommended often. Height is 178-180cm and weight is 87kg-89kg *nekkid, boot 28.5cm. Binding angles 15/-12.

Looking for your opinions on those who have rode either the Mullet or Malolo. I was thinking a 158cm to 160cm board, too. Is that okay given my glutton stats.

If there are any other boards I should consider, please make the recommendation and size.

I do like catching air, if that matters (that is why I did not list the Fish, I heard it was hard to land and sucked a$$ getting to the powder).

Another option is to just get a smaller Custom or maybe the Custom X.

are you moving your bindings back for pow?

things aren't going to change much for you going from a custom wide to a malolo/mullet. lean back in pow so the nose doesn't dive.

'It takes much energy to get it rocking from edge to edge'<-this makes me think you need some lessons more than a new board

set your bindings back and you should be fine. Unless you log on a LOT of time in the pow, you don't need a specific board for it. A Custom, especially a wide one, should be fine in the pow, just throw your bindings back a bit.

My back binding is set one back of center already. I will move it back another notch tonight.

I probably do need more lessons, since I just started boarding last month.

I have the turns down and I am an aggressive rider, but I am still working on all the proper body mechanics (i.e., no flailing arms or excessive upper body rotations).

it takes time. don't expect to rip big pow slashes after 1 month of riding! and don't get pissed you can't stomp that 720 next weekend.

just get out there as often as possible and have fun.

(for deep pow just move your bindings all the way back)

Sheeee.....it, dawg! I am already stomping 1080s.

HAHA!

I wish, I saw the thread about 1080s and could not resist.

I am working on my riding as often as I can. On, Jan. 11th will be my 11th or 12th full day out since my frist time ratcheting my bindings last month.

I am shooting for 30 full days before season ends and being able to carve the really steep stuff, without worrying about which line is safer or easiest to turn or blitz through.

Originally Posted By: Oyuki kigan
i have been riding 18 sesons, and i have a hard time "carving the really steep stuff".

18 seasons! damn. all of those on a snowboard? you must have seen some crazy changes in equipment.

sounds like you're doing pretty good for 12 days of riding samui. the more you'll ride the better you'll get, i wouldn't freak too much about it if i were you

well, the biggest changes have been in boots. I started in felt sorels, and the bindings would KILL the top of your foot. You could only ride a few runs before it was unbearable.

Plus, if you look at any footage before 94, everyone rode with their knees together, because the boots didn't give a lot of support. Craig Kelly is a perfect example of this. I still do it sometimes when i carve.

The malolo is an awesome ride, but if anything it's a little too easy to ride in powder. On piste it can hold an edge no problem -- I had hard plates on it last season, in powder and on piste -- though it does chatter, the trade for a super-light board with 'extra slash'.

I had one of the longer malolos, a 16x, but sold it to my flatmate this season after buying a 187 rad-air. Comparing two boards that differ more than 20cm in length is probably neither beneficial nor fair; no matter, the rad-air takes a little more technique to ride proficiently (and this is with soft boots), but I feel like I have a better rhythm than I did with the Malolo. Probably I just didn't ride it long enough to make friends.

good luck with your choice!

you dont sink in powder at high speed. Im a bit taller and lighter than you and i rode a 150cm no brander last season. I think it was branded 'extreme' from memory. A $50 setup with boots thrown in. Flexed like a japanese bird doing yoga but i still got it through the powder.

get some lessons my friend.

Fox, I'd stay with ya board and just wait until you get better to start going for specific stuff.

The board seems pretty good for your height weight so don't go any longer!

Edge to edge on a 25-26 waist is not going to be that much of a difference to you.

Given all the comments from you experienced riders. I think I will just stick with my Custom Wide. I just need to practice on the powder more. Sorry, for all the doods and gals that ride the powder after me, I might leave a make a few faceplants in the oh, so good powder. =).