Just be careful. A guy with a card issued in NZ with all the right affiliations couldn't get his card to work out at the 7-11 last week. A mate put his card through the credit card system at the lodge and there was no problem. The poor guy was refused a cash advance through a local Japanese bank (why?? I do not know).

It pays to bring as much cash as possible.

Here's my experience:

Debit or cash cards work in Post Office ATMs if they have the cirrus or maestro symbol on the back. Not 24/7

Credit cards work in international credit card ATMs if you can find one. Outside the airports I've only ever found one was at Machida in Tokyo. Some machines are 24/7.

You can get a cash advance with any credit card in any bank that has a foreign exchange counter (not all banks). Takes ages and you need your passport. Not 24/7.

You can usually use your credit card at merchants although for some reason sometimes a card will just not work at a particular place so don't rely on being able to use it.

Also, if you plan on using your credit card a lot then bring the international help desk number with you. If you suddenly start spending, especially in a different country the credit card company will put a block on the card in case it has been stolen so you have to call them up to remove the block. This happens to me all the time so I carry the number with me everywhere.

My recommendation would be not to even consider and of this for a snow trip and...

BRING CASH IN YEN!

• 1 month later...

My experience:

Went to the 7/11 in Hakuba. They have an ATM. They take Maestro (which includes my German EC-Card). You can chose between several different amounts, up to 50,000. There is 210 handling fee per withdrawal.

I took 50,000 - I thought it's the daily limit. I tried a 2nd time and got another 50,000.

It works perfectly. Side note: it also accepts Chinese "Union Pay" debit cards, but I didn't try that.

We will be in Happoone in a week & a half (& counting). I thought I had the cash / ATM / credit card issues sorted, based on past trip, but not to Hakuba.

I've read (somewhere, maybe here) that at Hakuba you can pay for day or 2 day lift passes with a credit card, but for a season card you need to pay cash.

Is that correct? I'm banking on buying day tickets with a credit card. Otherwise, I'd better go and get some more Yen.

Many thanks.

Originally Posted By: deemacvee
Is that correct? I'm banking on buying day tickets with a credit card. Otherwise, I'd better go and get some more Yen.

Many thanks.

You can buy 1 day - or longer tickets from the ticket counter using card. I did that for 2-days passes. However, why would you? In most cases your hotel sells them cheaper.

So after you arrive, firstly check if your hotel sells lift tickets. Happo lift ticket prices: Hotel vs. Counter>

1 day: 4100 vs. 4600
2 day: 7500 vs. 8500

Note1: add 1000 to each price for deposit
Note2: there are no hotel deals on children tickets.

Since my hotel did not take card I had to pay all cash then.

It works perfectly in 7/11 - but watch the cost!

The 7/11 Machine mentioned a ¥210 charge for each withdrawal. But my bank (Postbank in Germany) uses a lower exchange rate (-1.85%) + €4.80 per withdrawal with my German EC Card.

I haven't checked if the post office is cheaper, too late for that, next year (hopefully).

It's probably still cheaper then getting cash advance from a credit card though.