Shuttle bus from Happo One to Kyoto

We are a party of 4 adults and will be leaving Happo in early March for Kyoto. The trip south is not as straight forward as the trip in, from Tokyo. We've checked out the train options - quite long with a couple of changes.

We are wondering if there is a shuttle service which would take us from Happo to Kyoto? Perhaps a private operator ?

Many thanks

Try the Alpico bus website, theres some english pages. At least they do Nagano-shi to Kyoto, if you are lucky maybe they do osaka->hakuba via kyoto in ski season.

Shuttle? no its a long distance bus journey - the night bus. There are many of them they leave at between 6-8pm and arrive in Kyoto at about 5am.

Most local travel agencies can book them, the bookings of all the different travel agencies are pooled and parties distributed over dozens of different buses.

Horrible things - I have taken too many of them, a necessary evil.

I did the night bus 3 weeks ago. Pure hell. However, has anyone experienced the most expensive one with only three seats across and the reclining seats? Not that much cheaper than the train but could be a good time-saving option.

The Sunshine Tour buses all stop in Kyoto if you request it.

I've done a 3 seater bus before although it was just Nagano to Osaka. It was really good, everyone quiet, you can lie back very flat and I slept most of the way (and I normally can never sleep on buses/trains etc).

Thanks for these posts. Most useful. We are a bit too old & spoilt to endure the long and uncomfortable trips you are describing (been there, done that, still remember the back pain of 20 years ago).

The more luxurious one referred to by triptaka sounds more our style.

Anyone know more about that one?

We're not all that fussed about the price (within reason). Mainly just looking for a way of reducing the time and hassle of the multi-train trip.

Has anyone heard of a small shuttle service (eg mini vans) that we might hire to take us south??

Many thanks

DeeMacVee

Originally Posted By: deemacvee
Thanks for these posts. Most useful. We are a bit too old & spoilt to endure the long and uncomfortable trips you are describing (been there, done that, still remember the back pain of 20 years ago).

The more luxurious one referred to by triptaka sounds more our style.

Anyone know more about that one?

We're not all that fussed about the price (within reason). Mainly just looking for a way of reducing the time and hassle of the multi-train trip.

Has anyone heard of a small shuttle service (eg mini vans) that we might hire to take us south??

Many thanks

DeeMacVee

DMV,

Yes, I'm up on this one. You can book the Sunshine Tour buses through Japanese travel agents only (as far as I know). It's a local company with local attitudes (i.e., not internationally market minded). Of the top of the head, an overnight return trip from Osaka to Hakuba on the most luxurious bus in the fleet cost about 16000 yen, so for a one-way to Kyoto on the same bus, you're probably looking at at least 10000 yen.

However, in your case, I would simply take the train from Hakuba to Nagoya (I took a direct, no change at 2:40 last Sunday), and then get the bullet train to Kyoto. That trip won't cost you any more than 11000/12000 yen.

nice!

i drive up to happo from kyoto on friday,

come back on sunday, so i won't fit your schedule

but maybe i'll c u all on a slope?

koko, domo, warh, and more people will be in happo area skiing in feb.

wave.gif

Nothing specific, but I've done the 3-seat bus from Yamagata to Osaka (much further). As comfortable as anything which is not a sleeper, much better than a plane. They stop every 2 hours to change drivers. If your drivers come from Tohoku, you can get out for a fag, a slash and a stroll. If they come from Osaka you have to stick your arm through the closing door and grab them by the throat to let you off the bus.

Osaka thumbsdown.gif

Thanks. I think the trains to Nagoya, then shinkansen to Kyoto is what we will end up doing. Just looking at other options.

My wife was trying to find out some info about a one way car hire, from Hakuba to Kyoto via web inquiry & posted some questions in the Japan-guide forum. Didn't get much info (as compared to this forum - I can't believe the response). The site coordinator advised we'd need to pick up a car at Massumoto. I thought if we had to get a train that far, we ought to just keep going.

If you know of a car hire place that operates out of Hakuba & does one way rentals, that would be great.

They normally charge a lot for a one-way car rental from one part of Japan to another.

I've never taken it, but Hakuba 47 have a bus that'll take you to central Nagoya. From there, jump on the shink for one hour and you're in Kyoto.