I am planning a trip for Goryu / 47 this weekend. I will also try to visit Happo One, but I want to stay near Goryu or 47. Based on your past experience, I would like to have your recommendation as to where to stay. I want to be in the village, near the mountain base with easy walking access to restaurants and bars. I plan to be on the mountain nightly. I will be there for four days.

P.S. If it helps, I really liked staying in the Hirafu Village in Niseko and had a wonderful experience walking to all the restaurants and bars at night.

Please give me your advice. I was looking at White Horse, but I was kind of wanting to do the cheaper accomodations this time around.

Originally Posted By: Samui Kitsune
I plan to be on the mountain nightly. I will be there for four days.

P.S. If it helps, I really liked staying in the Hirafu Village in Niseko and had a wonderful experience walking to all the restaurants and bars at night.

Please give me your advice. I was looking at White Horse, but I was kind of wanting to do the cheaper accomodations this time around.

After the Niseko nightas, don't expect the equal. After Niseko night life, don't expect close.

You are spoilt for choices when it comes to accommodation in G/47. I would rattle off the names of a few places but I think it's against the rules of this site. However, the local Tracks Bar stood out (for me anyway) as a good place to share a few ales and tell a few lies. There's a hardcore Tasmanian contingent in Hakuba for a few months, who like their music and create a vibe. Also, there's a local DJ that goes by Jimmy Concrete who knows how to crank it up.

Originally Posted By: SJForums
There is a lot of choice on here:

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/hakuba-guide/hakuba-places-to-stay.html

I would mention my favourite place but it would create a lot of fuss and be against those nasty rules. ;\)

Good luck.

Yes, SJF. Probably a good idea to be diplomatic. Anyway, your recommendations are as good as anywhere. As for the Tracks Bar, there is no competition, so no toes stepped on there.

I saw all those Places To Stay, but I could not find a decent map to show me which joints where in the center of things. I deciphered a Japanese map and it looks like Pension Little is in the middle.

As for comparing Niseko to Hakuba, that is what this trip is for. I learned to ride in Niseko and this will be my first trip to Hakuba. I know they are in different leagues, but I still think Hakuba will be a great experience and much better than my experiences at Naeba/Niigata and Bandai/Fukushima.

I found a few onsens/resorts in Niseko that were not tattoo friendly. However, I also learned that those onsens/resorts generally suck, e.g., Prince Hotel chains.

But, for Niseko one of the better tattoo friendly onsens is the one inside Niseko Alpen Hotel, right at the base of the Hirafu side.

• SnowJapan Admin

Samui - this might not be in time to help you, but in the near future the location of all of the hotel listings on SnowJapan will be put on our new maps:

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/japan-ski-town-maps/index.html

(We were hoping for this to be done earlier, but workloads got the better of us..)

I have one good English PDF map of all sort of places, pm me if wanted.

I'll stay in Sidehill in Echoland. On the map it looks like that it has equal walking distance to Happo Nakiyama lift and the most eastern 47 lift. (Edited: that looks quite wrong on the map: it's 15 Minutes walking distance to Happo and 45 Minutes Walking distance to 47)

As long as you stay in Echoland you should not worry too much as there are shuttle buses to either lifts. So I would say any Echoland place should be fine and will have some bar access.

Tracks Bar is really nice too, maybe a little remote if you want to go any other place.

Please allow me that silly question: is Goryu and 47 the same? I mean, will the day pass allow me to use either lifts? Seems the fields are connected at the top.

Originally Posted By: Mr Wiggles
Don't tell anyone, but Hakuba's nicest onsen is at Goryu.

Wigs, that wouldn't happen to be Obuya? If so, well worth the extra yen. They've got a solid gaijin clientele already. They do pretty good food in there as well.

Saw a few tattooed japanese & foreigners so no drama.
 Originally Posted By: Kraut_in_HongKong

Please allow me that silly question: is Goryu and 47 the same? I mean, will the day pass allow me to use either lifts? Seems the fields are connected at the top.

I have seen day pass offers for the two slopes. I have also seen other day pass options for just one slope.

I saw the pricing somewhere. Let me see if I can find it again and hook you up with a linky.

SJFORUMS

I saw the map linky. I just get some green map now without names. Is this a problem on my end? Or am I to understand that you are in the process of making, but just a little too busy with things to do right now.???

• SnowJapan Admin

Well you certainly should not be getting "some green map without names".

Currently the names of main roads, expressways, ICs, ski resorts, train lines & stations are shown on these scale maps.

In the near future, the location of the hotels found on this site will also be shown on the maps - and we also have other plans for them. We are working on it.

Originally Posted By: tripitaka
 Originally Posted By: Mr Wiggles
Don't tell anyone, but Hakuba's nicest onsen is at Goryu.

Wigs, that wouldn't happen to be Obuya? If so, well worth the extra yen. They've got a solid gaijin clientele already. They do pretty good food in there as well.

Saw a few tattooed japanese & foreigners so no drama.

They do locals pricing too lol.gif And half-price draft Ebisu's in offseason! Me and my daugher are probably the No. 1 gaijin clientele. About twenty times since it opened in November. We still pale next to my next-door neighbour. He has a year pass and goes every day!

They do locals pricing too lol.gif And half-price draft Ebisu's in offseason! Me and my daugher are probably the No. 1 gaijin clientele. About twenty times since it opened in November. We still pale next to my next-door neighbour. He has a year pass and goes every day!

That's hardcore. I had some of the 50 yen off tickets. The way it's going they'll recoup their investment pretty quickly.

Originally Posted By: orinoco
Why don't you, you know, just like, you know.... ASK THEM!

confused.gif

I'm sure they will know where they are located.

Because 1) I never believe anything a salesperson says about their establishment (they want the booking) 2) I wanted to increase my post count!

Oh yeah, another +1 for me.