1. 1. Do you like this poll?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

I really don't want to get up early tomorrow morning and go to work.

In fact, I'm not sure I'll be able to, having lied in for quite a few of the last 10 days or so.

\:\(

Damn work.

I have had that feeling all my working life.

Having been tired of digging holes in the ground for other people, i just bought my own little business.

No more bosses, no more timecards.

I'm free (to go bankrupt)

Ever since the fist day I started working all I've dreamed about is retiring....

Even when I ran my own business I never really enjoyed it because I have just never liked working.

Just hope the Parents in-law don't last too long as they are nice and rich whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: Thunderpants
Having been tired of digging holes in the ground for other people, i just bought my own little business.

What kind of business Tp, any surf related?

I wish you best luck with the new start.

i am a slacker but i need to do something semi-productive to keep myself motivated.

i find that without work doing nothing is less enjoyable. ideally i would just work say, 2-3 days a week, rather than 5.

If I had enough money that I didn't need to work then I definitely wouldn't. There's so much I want to do in this world that I think even if I was able to retire tomorrow I probably wouldn't have enough time left to do it all. Working has never given me any real satisfaction or fulfillment. Travel, exploring, climbing and skiing mountains though defintely has. I live in a place where I can do all that so it's not so bad but work really does restrict the amount of time I get to do it.

A friend of mine back in England, who used to be a highly-paid lawyer, decided that work and stress was just not worth it. They quit and now work from home with an almost part-time workload (though still important work). They basically choose when to do the work and he reckons he does concentrated work for about 10-12 days a month.

He seemed very relaxed and extremely happy when I met him last year.

Of course, he was in the position to be able to do that (lots of money).

Originally Posted By: Go Native
If I had enough money that I didn't need to work then I definitely wouldn't. There's so much I want to do in this world that I think even if I was able to retire tomorrow I probably wouldn't have enough time left to do it all. Working has never given me any real satisfaction or fulfillment. Travel, exploring, climbing and skiing mountains though defintely has. I live in a place where I can do all that so it's not so bad but work really does restrict the amount of time I get to do it.

that's cool too. being motivated to continually push yourself in the things your love rocks.
i just find that whenever i spend 3 months not working and surfing or snowboarding i tend to lose a bit of interest in it after i while. i guess i just get really spoilt and forget how good i have it, and need a bit of reality to put things into perspective.

but i don't understand people who win lotto and then go back to work doing the same jon in a factory or whatever wakaranai.gif
if i was independently wealthy i'd just be cruising around doing the things i love

People need structures and routine generally, thats why they would go back to their old job. Without a job to occupy your mind and time, you would soon be left question the purpose of your existence, what is happiness etc and would develop 'existential angst'. If you can overcome that then it would be great though, I'd like to be in a position to try but instead I gotta grind the grindstone.

If I won the lottery I wouldnt quit working, Id just change what I do and how much I do it. I need to work for the same reasons bobby wrote. Wish I had a bit more free time at my current job - my last job was nuts..bout 4 months paid vacation/year - now Im lucky to have 4 days off/month eek.gif crazy.gif cry.gif

Originally Posted By: bobby12
People need structures and routine generally, thats why they would go back to their old job. Without a job to occupy your mind and time, you would soon be left question the purpose of your existence, what is happiness etc and would develop 'existential angst'. If you can overcome that then it would be great though, I'd like to be in a position to try but instead I gotta grind the grindstone.

Man if work defines the purpose of your existence then frankly you're a very different person than I am. I work to live and definitely not the other way around. If I was in a position not to have to work to live then I most assuredly would not.
I just don't judge my life on the success I have at work. I have previously earned good money and ran my own business but do I ever look back on that with pride? Not really, as working just doesn't factor in for me on the success of my life. I look back on all my travels and experiences as the successes in my life. I just wish I didn't have to work to have more of them.
My parents always used to say to me that I would appreciate things more if I had to work for them. Well all I can say to that is what absolute crap. The only thing I've ever appreciated by working for something is all the time in my life I had to waste to get it. I appreciate things much, much more if I don't have to work for them that's for sure.

There was a time in my life when I absolutely hated going to work and working with total morons. Those were the days of living hand to mouth in order to party alot.

But now I enjoy going to work. Circumstances have changed so that I don’t feel the pressure of having the need to keep a job. There’s sod all to do anyway and what I have to do I get done with ease, if you get what I mean.

I think if I didn’t work, I’d have a hard time thinking of what to do with my time and probably partake in vices that would get me into trouble which in turn would deprive me of my liberty to do as I please.

Also, my wife took 20 months off and by the fourth month she started to get bored. She was actually very keen to get back to work after our baby was born.

My point was that most people need a job to give their life structure and routine to take their mind off the very unpleasant reality that our life has no purpose and eventually we will die. I think most people cannot survive without this, and that explains why rich old wives do voluntary work in charity shops, or why people with slacker jobs spend all their time on the internet or chatting etc. Of course this is just a generalization, it doesnt apply to all people.

I love my work and the challenge it provides, its rewarding and I progress myself much more than if I was rich and could spend my time as I liked. I am sometimes challenged to learn new technologies and other times I have total freedom to pick whatever tech interests me (ruby on rails, java etc) and start developing with it - I have very little pressure in terms of deadlines and I have total freedom (within business needs) to make web/intranet content/functions. Without a job I doubt I could push myself through that road in the same way, unless I was making my own business. For now I enjoy work as much as I enjoy snowboarding, backpacking, reading etc. Maybe in a few years I wont be saying that but for now it is the case. The only thing I would change is if I could have 40 days holiday a year instead of 20, and be in a more interesting part of Japan (Nagano/Tokyo/Niseko).

I sometimes wish I enjoyed working more but after 15+years of it I really just don't. I do enjoy the social interaction I get from work but that's about it. My achievements at work just have never given me all that much satisfaction. Whereas my achievements climbing mountains and travelling to remote places are the things that I look back on with the most pleasure. When talking about my life these are things that define me and what I am about, not work. There are just so many mountains in the world I want to climb and so many places I want see. Working severely restricts my ability to do all these things. So I just keep dreaming that the parents in-law will have some unfortunate accident so I can get out and do all the things I want to!

Originally Posted By: thursday.

Also, my wife took 20 months off and by the fourth month she started to get bored. She was actually very keen to get back to work after our baby was born.

That's pretty common Thurs. I think a lot of it is social pressure for being ' just a housewife' or ' just a mum'. It also relives the tedium of nappy duty as well. It also gives them a life outside of the house.

CB - I like being close to work because I have 2 young babies. Always thinking of moving to Kobe but it means at least an hour of commuting each way and I get a bit quesy on that train too. Prefer to just spend time at home/gym on weekdays and go to kobe on the weekends.

yeah, the shinkaisoku is really packed with smelly ossan sick.gif I hate commuting too which is why I left Ashiya for Kyoto. Didnt want a 1:30 commute in the morning then in the evening too. Especially when we sometimes have meetings finishing up quite late. Screw that. If I got out of a meeting at 10:30 and got home at midnight... sick.gif eek.gif