Where should I start? I am an intermediate-advanced skier who has skied all over North America and is coming to Japan for the first time during Chinese New Year. I want to ski a resort in Nagano that is big enough to offer all kinds of skiing as well as apres skiing attractions. Of course I would also like my first Japan ski trip to be as English-friendly as possible.

Any suggestions? I am looking at Nozawa Onsen and Hakuba right now. Does anyone know of any other options for someone in my position? I am currently trying to find a Western styled room at a smaller ski lodge in one of these areas.

Nagano experts, can you help me? Any Canadian ex-pats out there?

Thanks

-Copie

adamcopus@hotmail.com

Instructor for your girlfriend would be great, it will also provide you with some time to explore on your own. All depends on how much dough you have to throw around.

If you have 4 days, my personal recommendation would be to go to Hakuba, there are lots of places to stay withing walking distance of the lifts, and its a cool little town. If you are in Hakuba you will have the opportunity to ski 4 different resort in 4 days if you want. I would recommend going to Happo first you may find theres no need to go anywere else, in my opinion its the best resort I have been to in Japan.

just my two cents

Originally Posted By: OkemoLoon
Instructor for your girlfriend would be great, it will also provide you with some time to explore on your own. All depends on how much dough you have to throw around.

If you have 4 days, my personal recommendation would be to go to Hakuba, there are lots of places to stay withing walking distance of the lifts, and its a cool little town. If you are in Hakuba you will have the opportunity to ski 4 different resort in 4 days if you want. I would recommend going to Happo first you may find theres no need to go anywere else, in my opinion its the best resort I have been to in Japan.

just my two cents

oh c'mon. First time in Japan and you rec that journey from Tokyo?

No reccomendations from me. Read the threads and see what you like.

you know, for your first time in the country and being interested in extra ciricular activities, (do these mean cultural or strictly beer oriented?) i would recomend nozawa onsen. the mountain is big and has lots to offer, has great snow, and the historic little town(litteraly lift side) has a wonderful asthetic with some great bathes and some cool bars. there are also a number of places that are english friendly.

don't get me wrong hakuba is amazing, but it is bigger (several different resorts) and as such you won't really have the time needed to get a good feel of what each mountain offers.

as for getting to either, it's a simple shinkansen to nagano, and from there you can catch a connecting train or bus to either places.

have fun!

Originally Posted By: Canadian Copie
I am looking at Nozawa Onsen and Hakuba right now.

I did ski in both. Both are nice. Nozawa is also quite large (I like to mention that since everybody talks about Hakuba here). Hakuba has more reachable resorts, whereas Nozawa just has Nozawa.

I Nozawa I stayed here: Haus St. Anton http://www.snowjapan.com/e/hotel/viewhotel.php?hotid=4

They speak English and the food was excellent. It's about 10 Minutes walk (in ski boots) to the nearest lift.

You don't stay over the weekend, so it should be easy to find a place.

For English speaking instructors you really have to do some searching, or ask when the place were you will stay. It will be expensive.

I hope I won't start a flamewar here, but I suggest you put your G/F on snowblades. Snowblades (usually below 100cm length) are far more easy to handle then a normal length ski and she can ski in no time. They maneuver much easier and she will learn how to stop faster. Knowing how to will make her more relaxed.

Quote:
Where are the best spots once the skiing is done for the day??

I found Nozawa dead after lift closure. But I tend to believe "daver" and blame it on me not looking deep enough. Since the hotel usually provides dinner there is also little motivation to go out.

In Hakuba last time I stayed near the top Saka lifts at Happo. That's also far away from any action and a really long walk back to Hakuba City (I know, it's called Echoland). So no action either. One night we went to the Tracks Bar in Goryu. That was cool, but really far away. This year I stay in Echoland which should have some bars.

I raised that question about bars in Echoland a while ago: http://www.snowjapanforums.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Main/14556/Number/250290