Welcome to the forums! wave.gif

There will be a language barrier - period. Can't really get away from that one. That's either going to be fun for you or a pain for you, depending on your perspective. In general, if you are going to a ski area that caters to English-speaking clientele (Niseko?), then you won't have too much of a problem. Also, there should be somebody at the major airline counters and visitor information booths that speaks relatively understandable English. That's about where it goes to "hit or miss" - I wouldn't expect your bus driver, taxi driver, airport store clerk, supermarket clerk, bar hostess, etc. to speak English. Sometimes you luck out, but other times they give you the "I don't speak English" thing just to save themselves trouble.

Just run with it and you'll be OK.

Thanks for that - I have bought basic lonely planet japanese book and correct pronounciation book!! As long as I can say where is the bar and the hospital I guess that is going to be the most important. We are staying at the Niseko Park Hotel?

Can't wait everyone says it is the best powder snow in the world!!

Snowhunter Niseko Park Hotel is well situated on the main road leading up to the lifts in upper Hirafu. You can easily access the Family Lift by going round the side of the hotel and crossing a bridge over a creek. The staff at the Park speak reasonable english.

You are very close to heaps of restaurants and bars (Hirafu is not big) and basically you will find nearly all staff be they Japanese or foreign speak some english.

Not sure why you want to know about the hospital! Anyway if you do find yourself having to visit that establishment then you'll be heading down into Kutchan, which is a 10-15min drive from Hirafu.

Yes there would be few areas in the world that get more powder days than we do and the quality of the snow is generally amazing. Certainly better than anything in NZ and at least equal to anything in Canada. Looks like a pretty big storm system is arriving this weekend and although it may be a little wet to begin with on Sat from Sun onwards we should get plenty of snow.

When are you arriving and are you using a tour company or doing it all yourself?

We don't arrive until March 3rd (left it a bit late and flights and accomodation were hard to get). A friend of ours at flight center has booked everything. Not going with a tour company have always found it is more fun to feel your own way. Always a little nervous on the first run until I get my ski legs - A friend of mine broke her arm in Japan on the first day!!!!

Do I have to look at getting new ski's for the powder. I bought mine when we were in Canada and haven't had a problem with them (just need to get them tuned before I go).

March is a good time to go. Lots of snow, fewer people.

If your skis worked in Canada, there's no reason they won't work in Niseko. Now need to worry about them. But if you really want to try out other skis, there are loads of hire shops.

So I take it you'd be taking the coach from airport to Hirafu car park. It's about a 2 minute walk from the carpark to your hotel.

Yeah I guess! I'm getting pretty good at lugging my gear around the place. Must look very funny I think my ski bag is bigger than me. Thanks for the advice on my ski's. My friend is going to air brush my poles to match my ski's before I go. (you know it's the whole colour coordination thing)

Glad to hear the snow in March is good I thought we may have left it a bit late.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for that article it was great.

HAPPY NEW YEAR. I am starting to get very excited as there has been a few good dumps of snow. I have bought new ski pants and jacket so I am ready and rearing to go.

Is there much to do in Niseko if the weather turns crappy or having a rest day??

Are there any snow monkeys in the hot pools in Sapparo area??

>Is there much to do in Niseko if the weather turns crappy or having a rest day??

you could drink lots of beer with fellow countrymen! \:\)

Onsens are abundant and many places will drive out to a few of the further onsen - even to a mixed onsen possibly too if yer brave enough to get naked with men and women.

Does the bus to Goshiki-onsen run in winter?

I don't think there are wild monkeys on Hokkaido... someone correct me if I'm wrong - I've never seen any. There are bears, deer, and foxes though, but the bears should be asleep in March.

Get a couple of lessons and you wont be hanging on those beginner runs long! They are brilliant to learn on though - WAY longer and more interesting than the beginners trips at home, but the green runs higher up are also OK for someone with your experience - heck - I was coming down the Gondola (little intermediate icy patches in April) after only 2 days on a board - no well mind you - but I got down alive!

Best advice I can give is get a private lesson - and get the instructor to take you to a few different runs so you are comfortable on them - after you have done them a few times with an instructor you will be happy enough to tackle them by yourself.

• 1 month later...

A cautionary word.

Employing ski/snowboard instructors that are not employed by the mountain or the independent schools that are members of the Niseko Promotion Board is not advisable.

Most don't have a clue and some are downright dangerous.

Vinwee,

I certainly never used anyone that was not employed by a major school in Niseko.

But I have used (between family members and me) 9 different instructors over 3 different school over 3 separate trips and they all rocked! All had different teaching methods and styles and personality and all of them brought something positive and constructive to the table.

Use a school. You can do group or private lessons. I think you will find the dollar value is there.