Just had a car accident...

• 2 weeks later...

Too bad Frannyo - I hope it all resolves itself for the better.

Last year I screeched the lumbering 4wd to a halt as an 8 yr old girl raced into the intersection from the footpath without looking. Freaked the shit out of her (& me) as my tyre came to a rest against her leg & pedal - literally.

5cm's on - broken leg and more and my name would be mud.

So I just blasted the hell out of her for not riding carefully while shaking uncontrollably with fear.

Many Bike riders and road users in general here operate in the twighlight zone and unfortunately while they destroy their own lives they ruin innocent others.

My Rant.

• 1 month later...

Well just to update on this. Not a lot happened for a while, other than the girl getting better and it ends up that I won't have to shell out anything myself - which is all good by me. Had me worried for a while there though and even though I still think it was totally not my fault I am now being more careful than I was before!

Sounds like you're lucky. --So much crazy behaviour from pedestrians and cyclists around here. Even worse is parents who cluelessly let their small children dart through parking lots or across the road. Fortunately for me, the only time I've hit a cyclist was when I was also on a bike. (knock on wood) -Plowed right into her as she was going through a red light, went over my handlebars and landed on her. Don't worry, I was fine.

• 11 months later...

I just had a bike accident: a young guy (20ish) strolled out on the road right in front of me without looking at all and I cleaned him out and we both went for a decent tumble, luckily I landed on my side with the impact distributed along the whole side simultaneously, he took a decent hit and was hobbling when he slowly got up.

Knowing the daft rules of engagement in Japan - I am the cyclist: it's my fault no matter what etc blah blah, I was a little concerned,and many bystanders came rushing over (it was outside a supermarket on a busy narrow road).

I had no time at all, he just blindly strode into my path at the very last second, I tried to swerve but had no time at all.

Thankfully he was quite embarrassed and sheepish about it ( probably knowing he just had a lesson at the always look before you leap school) and tried to get away a.s.a.p.

In fact he was so eagre to get away, he failed to learn his lesson and strode out in front of a car which honked vigorously at him.

I learnt my lesson though, don't get complacent with pedestrians in this country, there really are some real space cadets out there: people who just don't look and expect you accommodate them and get out of their way and if you hit them you are potentially screwed.

I got lucky this time.

A mate of mine had his car nudged by a Pepsi delivery van a couple of days ago. The damage was negligible (only to my mates car) and the driver wanted to call the police but my mate told him not to worry about it. The driver was so relieved he gave my mate 3 cases of soft drinks in return!

Originally Posted By: Go Native
A mate of mine had his car nudged by a Pepsi delivery van a couple of days ago. The damage was negligible (only to my mates car) and the driver wanted to call the police but my mate told him not to worry about it. The driver was so relieved he gave my mate 3 cases of soft drinks in return!

Shame it wasnt the beer truck driver
  • 3 weeks later...

I was a supervising passenger in my L plate sons car today, taking him for his driving test when a cyclist rode out in front of the traffic AFTER the light had gone green.

Son was in the right hand lane - a large van in the left hand lane - another car in the turning right right hand lane. The bike appeared from in front of the van ...I spotted it first and told him to "STOP!"..... which he obediently did just as hee noticed the cyclist.

She then stopped IN FRONT of his L plated car because the car to our right did not see her before pulling into the intersection and had narrowly missed her.

Sometimes bike riders are whack!

Ohhh... BTW - he passed his test dance

Yeah... he failed the first one in December, and with the whacko backlog in ouur system the next available appointment was today. Strange that a boy who failed in Feb ALSO had a repeat test at the same time ... yet when we were booked in for ours on the 17th of December it was one spot at that time on that day at that station or nothing for ANOTHER two weeks....

Ahhh well... done now. He is pretty stoked and YES he is asking for a car.

Yeah, my first driving test in Oz.

I pulled out making a more than adequate gesture that I looked behind, and then turned left at an intersection doing what I have to do. In the middle of the intersection as I was turning, my driver's side door opened !

well... guess what I failed. naughty

We all now that they fail youngsters to teach them a lesson and revenue raising.