• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's started snowing now. I just got back from Otaru and along the way there was some very heavy snow falling. Fingers crossed we get a really good dump over the next few days.

it was puking in Niseko this morning...I'd say 5cm in 2 hours but it has stopped now. Looks like we may miss a lot of the snow that everyone else is getting.

I haven't been out out on the board for 10 days now but with the snow last night and the snowfalls today, it felt fine under foot just walking around this morning.

Don't worry too much we'll get our fair share out of this system. Just have to wait until the winds move around to the right direction. Overnight and tomorrow should see some good falls.

I think we need to calibrate our terminology here.

When the good lady and I were woken by the snowplough coming through at 4 am to clear 5cm of snow she was dismissive. Her opinion: a fart, a waste of tax.

Since the plough came through, we've had another 25cm. A fair amount, but not really a dump. 60cm is a dump.

A puke doesn't have to as much as a dump, but it has to be big mobs quick-time. 10cm per hour for 3 hours would have to be a minimum.

Just to get some perspective, I can see 1 Standard Visual Unit to the concrete batching plant, but not 3 SVUs to the school. 30cm in 24 hours is standard snowfall.

Well I'm kind of losing faith in my ability to get this right.

But anyway ..

Maps for later tonight and Jan 1 look OK.

At the moment it's dead still in the village - hopefully the wind will pickup a bit soon and turn N-W.

Still hopeful (but somewhat stung by the last 24hrs.)

3 days of admin without skiing is enough for me.

Arrived in Niseko today in time for the start of the nighter. Lower slopes were icy, especially the mogul fields. Was feeling a little sad. Snow higher was better. Then it started... like a fine smoke initially, then fat flakes... tracks filling in everywhere, soft action in the trees (the tree skiing I have seen in the last few hours is incredible fun). I was having so much fun that I started singing to myself as I skied, fortunately not too many people about to hear me! Choice hits were "In the soft stuff" and "These goats were made for floating". Wanted to go out for some drinks afterwards, but the alarm has been set for first lifts tomorrow! CB`s "it`s puking" thread had made me wish I had gone to Hakuba for NY, but now I know that things will be OK here too!