• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those arriving this week. Be aware that the ATM at the Post Office will be closed 1-3 Jan. You might still be able to get cash out from 7/11 ATM's although I'm not sure. Just bring enough cash to last awhile.

Thanks GN, thats all good...more stoked that less rain is now forecast, coz it tends to make the snow pack unstable etc...if you see someone snowboarding with a red camo jacket from mountain design with a big smile on his face stop me and say hello...cheers...

Veronica does that mean you smoke 35 bongs a day?? that cant be good for you... ;\) funny comment ^ i like it...

It's still expected to get up to around 3 degrees in Kutchan tomorrow with a reasonable amount of precipitation. Most of the precip though will come through later tonight and through the morning. So it's likely we'll get a fair amount of accumulation tonight with it turning to wet snow/sleet through the morning. Still a lot better than it was looking just a couple of days ago.

Yep all the forecast updates got it just plain wrong. Looks like plenty of rain through today.

The warmer air hasn't reached too far inland or north of us though so currently Chitose and Sapporo are receiving snow!

Forecast looking great for this week - doing a day trip to gunma or niigata tomorrow and then going to Hakuba for three nights from wednesday! Good point about the ATMs - must get that cash. Japan must have the worst ATMs in the developed (and many parts of the not-so-developed) world!! Then again, looks like its gonna be waist deep powder this week, so Im not complaining!!!!

Check out snow-forecast - 92 cm predicted at the top of Happo One from now until Monday night! Thats a serious dump! Snow and low temps predicted for all of next week - looks like this could be the big one!

Gary, snow-forecast is crap for predicting. They are a global prediction tool that gets it correct 10% of the time.

2 weeks ago, we had continuous snow for a week, about 80cm in the village and they were 'forecasting' 1-3cm per night.

When I lived in France they could never get it right either...predicting snow and then it would be sunny.

Their maps section on past data is good but local weather companies are much better IMHO.

The groomers were actually decent today.

The rain most certainly was NOT.

Same goes for the wind.

Only the lower lifts open due to high winds.

Just don't get it. Why the f would anyone want to ski in the rain?

As a guestimate I'd say the snow line is at the top of the Ace #2 Quad.

Off groomed down low was saturated and slowwwwwww.

If it doesn't snow tonight then the lower mountain will be an ice rink tomorrow.

Ive always used snow-forecast to give me an idea, and I think its usually OK. Obviously its not always right, and if you look at how the snow usually falls on the Japan weather radar, you'll see that often one place can get a huge dump and somewhere very close gets very little. I think if theyre predicting a huge, sustained dump over a large area, like they are doing, then its pretty much on! Just hoping that the timing is OK cos Im out there tomorrow! Keep your fingers crossed folks and enjoy it if (when?) it comes!