Its a hard thing to define! I would say that a geek is into things that most, lets call them "mainstream" folks, aren't. Its a very broad definition, but its a broad base of interests.

Sometimes a "geek" will be sooo into something that it willt overshadow other aspects of life. The Japanese Otaku is this kind of geek. Its a much stronger/negative aspect of Geekery.

I would call myself a geek (and not be ashamed) cos I love computers. A lot. I like information. I want to learn everything. I have many hobbies, and enjoy them all. I remember being called a geek in highschool because I liked photography and blues music. I spent most lunchtimes discussing/trying different exposure levels etc and playing blues music with my mate in the music room. Never thought that being a geek made me an outcast, I was just doing what I wanted to do.

Wow, that was long. \:D

Nerds - are dorky uncool studious types, study study study.

The worlds second richest man was a big ole nerd, so often nerds laugh last.

Geeks - broad term really, The "_______" Geek is one division of geekdom: computer, manga, anime, gaming, chess, Tolkien, etc.

I wouldnt associate Geek with playing music though.

Dont forget the "freaks" - Fattwins is a "gear-freak"

Originally Posted By: SG

I wouldnt associate Geek with playing music though.
Dont forget the "freaks" - Fattwins is a "gear-freak"

You may be right, SG, but I can talk about effects chains and tweak settings on an amp or synth-effects rack from night until i see daylight outside... People not of the same ilk tend to get bored with me pretty quick! \:D Maybe this could be considered geeky.. Dunno, I just do it.

Otaku is a whole other level in my book. These guys/girls can be downright creepy. Not all of them, of course but the ones I had contact with (in Nova) freaked me out sometimes. I made the mistake of finding a common interest with this one guy and he creeped me the fjork out!

I've never really come across a western version of Otaku... Its a special class for sure and I really don't think you can be Otaku unless you are Japanese. MAybe thats a good thing \:D