• Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Totoro is the cutesy-est one for Hello Kitty lovers and little kids.

I like Laputa the best ( is see its the crowd favourite here too) followed by Howls. Would never had never bothered seeing them if it werent for having kids. My eldest son has seen all of the main ones: Kiki, Sen, Laputa, Totoro, Nausicaa, Howls about 20 times each if not more, he couldnt tell you his favourite one as its the one he is watching currently.

Kids can watch the same thing over and over, its quite amazing.

Fireflies - everyone should see that movie. It wasn't so much a tearjerker for me - it left my angry at the Seita who chose pride over reason and it ultimately cost his life and his sisters life.

Originally Posted By: SG
Fireflies - everyone should see that movie. It wasn't so much a tearjerker for me - it left my angry at the Seita who chose pride over reason and it ultimately cost his life and his sisters life.

I was thinking exactly the same thing SG!

Howls is the worst Ghibli Ive seen. Momonoke and Sentochihiro are also quite crap I thought.

re. GOTF - How did Seita choose pride? he was stealing veggies and got told off for it right? then he just kind of gave up and died, I thought. I didnt see it as him choosing pride at all but maybe I missed something...

Originally Posted By: bobby12

re. GOTF - How did Seita choose pride? he was stealing veggies and got told off for it right? then he just kind of gave up and died, I thought. I didnt see it as him choosing pride at all but maybe I missed something...

An alternative interpretation is that Grave of the Fireflies illustrates the danger of pride over reason. This view is expressed by the director Takahata in his interview on the 2-disc 2002 release, who expresses surprise that audiences sympathize with Seita, instead of recognizing that his actions cause his and his sister's death. This view holds that Nosaka's alter ego, Seita, must face a crucial decision (on two occasions: when he leaves the aunt's house and when the man in the field rejects him), either stay with the wicked aunt, work, earn money and face reality, or run away. Ultimately, Seita chooses pride over reason, and his fate and that of Setsuko is the result of his own decision to leave the aunt's house. Had they stayed, they would have most likely survived.
from wikipedia.

He couldnt suck it up and say sorry to his Aunt, he ran away and sealed his fate.

Also he didnt acccess the money in the bank out of pride until it was too late, he stubbornly refused to touch the money even when it could have saved his sisters life.

At the beginning of the film it seemed like he had his head screwed on tight when under pressure he managed to save the food and escape the firebombing with his sister and made his way to the aunts place - he wasnt a complete chump. He appeared to be smart and quite rational for his age but sadly and fatally he was also too proud.
 Originally Posted By: Domokun_72dpi
You do realize this is only going to et about 3 votes LMAo wave.gif

Oh, how wrong you were Domokun! lol.gif

Ghibli holds a special place in all our hearts ;\) lol.gif

Mononoke Hime is my pick.

Fireflies is my second.

Howl was good I thought. Not typical Miyazaki. In fact he took the story from Europe, but still had its Miyazaki flavour.

I was moved by Fireflies. When Setsuko was sucking on stones and pretending they were sweets. When they were playing and nothing in the world matter except the two of them.

Think I'll buy it and watch it again.

Porco Rosso is my favourite, but i like all of them.

They seem to have this weird european obsession about them.

They are very strange but delightful.

Last year there was a season of studio gibli stuff on sbs tv here in oz. And you can get the boxed set of all the films.

And i think they are going to be back on again soon. woot!!11!!

I also like the Avatar TV series, but i think that is korean and something else..

Originally Posted By: warhawk
:D Nerd Test!
You certainly can be called a manga otaku if you know what Battle Angel Alita or Ghost in the Shell is.
any takers?

Ever seen Kishiro Yukito's (Alita/Gunnm) other works (like Aqua Knight) or Shirou Masamune's other works?

Name a few and maybe you qualify for Uber-Nerd !

Miyazaki's films are beautiful and technically excellent, but a lot of the recent ones get way too preachy with regards to "let's saving the environment!" It's an encumberance that takes away a lot of the entertainment value for me.

I have Masamune Shirow's intron depot book. I like appleseed. And I've seen a bit Kirshiro's other stuff like Ashen Victor (which is in the same universe as Gunnm) but I like him purely for Gunnm, its what got me into anime/manga.

"Miyazaki's films are beautiful and technically excellent, but a lot of the recent ones get way too preachy with regards to "let's saving the environment!" It's an encumberance that takes away a lot of the entertainment value for me. "

I think Ghibli movies have always been like that though - e.g. Pompoko and Omohide poroporo. I agree its borderline preachy though, too sugary.

Originally Posted By: tsondaboy
 Originally Posted By: SirJibAlot
All Ghibli movies are made on my company's software. Mononoke Hime is a classic!

thumbsup.gif

Did you took part in the editing process Jib?

Nope, we just sell them the gear, they make the magic.
 Originally Posted By: bobby12
I think Ghibli movies have always been like that though - e.g. Pompoko and Omohide poroporo. I agree its borderline preachy though, too sugary.

True. I guess that's why I like Majou no Takkyubin (Kiki's Delivery Service) and Tonari no Totoro - the non-preachy films. I really enjoy the settings/worlds/realities Miyazaki-sensei creates in his films, even if I don't exactly like where he takes the story. I especially like the setting for Sen to Chihiro...