After watching this Storm for a week as it built up power and began to come in, you just new it was going to be big! The moisture in the air was unreal. On Friday morning after a day of rain, on came the snow. The first 30 to 40 cms down low had no chance to stick. The ground was wetter than the rainy season. On the snow fell though and into Saturday the snow was trying to stick but was still fighting a losing battle.

The mountain on the other hand was winning and the turns were knee deep everywhere. Called it quits early to get some work done and to watch it keep snowing. By 9pm on Saturday I could have used the snow blower to clear off the roof fallen snow, I should have done that! Off to bed at 12 pm and the snow was still bucketing down,by this time the snow had won the battle with the ground, about 10cms was sticking. Woke up at 6am and my parking area was a mess! no less than 40 cms, over my gum boot height! rushed to clear some snow to let the cars out but, with a full lot you cant really clear snow.

Into the car and off to the hill. With conditions this deep you have to make it to the gondie on time. Everyone was there diz, kuma, wiggles, rye dog, jer and J mates everywhere. A look around and people where thinking top to bottom! How many storms can open a whole ski resort in 12 hours! This one did! Up the lift and the snow was actually too deep to ski. The pitch had to be at least 35 degrees or you had to follow someones tracks to get a run of speed.

On my first run I planned on haul ass speed and fly into the powder tips up! all was going well until the cat track lips got me. I lawn darted into the snow and was stuck for about 5 seconds not being able to breathe. Got my self righted and tried to make some turns. With the speed all gone and 100 or more cms of fresh I was beaten. waist deep on pontoons! that is very very rare that those skis can get waist deep, standing still. I got about 10 turns in and then got back to the lift. My 2 mates Jer and rye dog ran into trouble too, so lucky for me they waited. Rye dog said and I quote,

"Its going to have to be 50 degrees to ski this properly".

Another lap down this time watching the cat tracks a bit better, I got about 20 turns that blinded me every other second. Then near the lift I had to push downhill just to get to the lift. 20 degrees and I'm stopped dead trying to push down the hill!

Choose a steeper area this next lap and things are working better. a few more tracks means, that you can use someones tracks to get speed. Unreal waist deep pontoon powder "PONTOONS"WTF"!

So that's it, I need something steeper cause I want to eat this siht! On to Kurobishi and oh what a choice! 40 plus degree drop in means speed. I forget to close my mouth and that's it I'm choking, (no joke) In the white room, I don't see a thing until the pitch rolls to 35 degrees. I cant scream cause if I do Im going to eat the farking snow and choke again. bounce off of a few pillows sor t of but heck, I wasn't getting even 10 cms of air in this much snow.

Onto the Skyline. It took us 15 minutes to push into a ski able section. Man though it was sick when we got there. Enough pitch, Just under the waist which made for better speed. The lower steep section had us fall in love. Every turn a face shot every turn sicker than the one before. did another lap before heading to the bottom.

I had skied to the bottom the day before, 5 cm base and utter crap. I had expected to damage the pontoons but I didn't touch bottom once. Unreal run cause you always knew that you had enough speed to ski.

That is now 4 decents top to bottom for the season nabbing first tracks the whole way!

Team no board.

n890405050_1872533_6024.jpg

Rye dog trying for a rooster tail on a board no luck

n890405050_1872444_6281.jpg

Jer coming up for air

n890405050_1872531_4184.jpg

Jer look at the snowline and he be using spatulas!

n890405050_1872446_8141.jpg

This was 5 cms the day before and I avoided it, not today though!

n890405050_1872443_5369.jpg

Will put snow pics onto sj once I edit and enhance the light a bit.

Sick! Sick! Sick! FT, good write up.

Tsonda, you should've stayed another day.

These days are rare. How often do we get a whole slope to ourselves for the whole day. Not many want to hike out. But fark was that good.

Originally Posted By: dizzy
These days are rare. How often do we get a whole slope to ourselves for the whole day. Not many want to hike out. But fark was that good.

I guess luck is on my side this year, I already have 2 sick days.
And its peaty easy to prove that since after each of these days FT greeted me with "F-you tsondaboy". \:\)

Good to see you getting it large FT, days like that is what its all about. Keep ya eye on and around new year, at this stage its looking very positive for another big few days in J-land. Just in time for when we land, although i will be watching it from Tokyo & Kyoto......

Mat

I must admit I am glad to hear that it was not just me getting bogged down at times... I felt like I wanted to add 10-15 degrees of slope to all my usual stepness preferences to get a nice smooth ride. Suddenly the whole snorkel thing doesn't seem like such a joke... bring on the next storm! (But this time with snow tyres).

Hey Ian I need you to do my a small favor at some point in the year. Can you look to see if whistler does the ski instructors tests in the spring?

still 2 dumps or so from the lines you really want but it is getting there

Nice essay, Fatty! A- with points off only for pottymouth. So much for you being busy at work doing someone else's job!

Happo was probably better this morning though. 40-50cm at Usagi/Kurobishi and seriously only 30 people riding it, ten of them being a ski team searching for buried moguls. Huge faceshots all morning with Stemikster. No problems on the outs either.

Its still puking so it should be killer tomorrow too.