My kids are on holidays in mid/late March and I would love to take them skiing somewhere in Japan for about 5 days. We need English instructors and don't want to spend a fortune.

Will this be possible that time of year. Also- any hints on ski fields that are reasonably close to Tokyo that we can drive to. We like to leave really early on a Saturday morning and are happy to just spend the morning on the slopes so as to avoid the traffic on the way home.

Any suggestions welcome

I'm not sure about drivable distance resorts from

Tokyo (assuming you mean a return day trip). Hakuba generally has good snow around that time, and there are English speaking instructors about. It's a nice location for a family holiday. I'm sure there are other good areas near Tokyo but I can only vouch for Hakuba. Depending on how you get there it can be a little far from Tokyo, but I think its worth it.

You can ski many place in mid March.

If you want convenient then best choice is Yuzawa Town in Niigata. There are quite a few resort there.

How about Tashiro/Kagura/Mitsumata resort areas in Yuzawa? They ski there until Golden Week in May and usually snow is very good mid-MArch. Its quite convenient also, just get to Yuzawa - easy - and 15 mins ride to Mitsumata.

the best you could do would be gala yuzawa, but that would be an hour and a half shinkansen ride for 3 people both ways, every day for 5 days - minimum cost would be 160,000 Yen. The highway wouldn't be much cheaper probably. From Tokyo to Hakuba is a 5 hour drive. Probably a 3 hour drive to Yuzawa.

I don't think your plan is very realistic. If you really want to go skiing somewhere, you really need to think about staying over night somewhere. It is cheap, and much better than making the long trip everyday.

Oh yeah, the time of year is no problem at all.

Yuzawa isn't just Gala though. Another 15 minutes bus ride and there's some other places in the town that are still really good then - Kagura, Mitsumata/Tashiro, Naeba (just bit further), Kandatsu near town.