There's a piece on the front page of the supplement of the Nikkei shimbun today with a questionnaire and piece about the top 10 resorts in Japan for non-hardcores. A bit late for people to get it now I suppose, but I thought I'd post. Not go it with me but I'll post the list tomorrow.

One of the 専門家 "senmonka" who took part in the article - and is mentioned on there - was SJ#1 from SnowJapan.

OK here it is on the front page of Nikkei Shimbum "Nikkei Plus 1" today:

1 Naeba (Niigata) - 452

2 Niseko Grand Hirafu (Hokkaido) - 429

3 Nozawa Onsen (Nagano) - 354

4 Appi Kogen (Iwate) - 310

5 Tazawako (Akita) - 305

6 Hakuba Goryu (Nagano) - 300

7 Rusutsu (Hokkaido) - 268

8 Sahoro (Hokkaid) - 246

9 Alts Bandai (Fukushima) - 242

10 Blanche Takayama (Nagano) - 238

10 Shiga Kogen Yakebitaiyama (Nagano) - 238

Looks like they put together the votes and comments commentary from 20 専門家 in the winter sports related businesses (including SJ1) and the above ranking is based on the total votes. Not sure exactly what the numbers mean. Each resort had a few comments with them as well as an article explaining it all, takes up two thirds of the page.

Seems it was for "facilities" and "families/beginners/intermediates" rather than hard-core riders.

I'm surprised Naeba topped it, though I support it's their day return facilities and things like that that got the votes.

Never heard of Blanche Takayama - anyone here ever been?

I saw this today.

This article was in a Japanese language newspaper, with all but two of the people contributing Japanese people in the industry.

Naeba has a long history with Japanese. In the boom period, Naeba was the place to go and be seen at. This image still lingers for many people. Also I think Naeba try to adapt to day tripper with their new facilities of last season that were just for those. It does not surprise me that it is near top.

It is interesting that place like Tazawako makes top part of this list. I personally like that area very much. It is not the most accessible place for many people.

• SnowJapan Admin

Yes, there was no real 'foreigner market' angle on this piece at all (my lengthy commentary on that didn't seem to make it - perhaps in another article), very much aimed at families and beginners who might want to have another go at skiing...

Originally Posted By: thursday
Number 2 sucks too as it has no snow making facilities

Don't need it. Although they have used guns this winter to cover the earthworks for the new lift by the Hirafu Gondola base station.

Quote:
and they are totally dependant on overseas visitors.

As many domestic skiers and snowboarders outside of the main Australian school holiday period.
Number 2 sucks too as it has no snow making facilities and they are totally dependant on overseas visitors.

WTF As soon as it gets cold it starts snowing and rarely stops. Why would they need it when they have had 200cm= already wakaranai.gif
Number 2 sucks too as it has no snow making facilities and they are totally dependant on overseas visitors.

lol.gif

yeah, that was the worst winter of my life...stuck up in that gawd awful dump, it just snowed and snowed, freaking cold, crappy food. Dont go to Hirafu, go to Moiwa instead \:D

Not sure why you'd expect a Japanese language paper to cater to foreign readers when the readership is 99% Japanese. Anyways, disregarding the ranking order, it looks like a good mix of resorts for various purposes. Though, since Hakkoda didn't make the list, it's not "hardcore" enough eh.

Well better than being dependent on the local market which has been declining every year since the bubble burst.... grin.gif
  • 6 months later...
Originally Posted By: Cambo
hi all,

i'm new here, that list is very helpful. does niseko have better snow than naeba??

is the pope catholic?