Christmas Pressies - what are you gonna give

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Indo
MJ. Just ask any Indian restaurant where they get their stuff or where the halal shop is. heaps of good stuff there..

Halah is not an Indian thing my friend, it's a Muslim thing. The animals have to be killed with their throats cut.

Yeah I'm not a complete idiot..

In Japan Halal foods is a small chain of small stores in dodgy locations selling mainly indian spices and movies. They have lamb from OZ which is the halal style..

If you have a prob with that, take it up with them.. I don't mind, they give me what I need and never eat my ham sandwiches...

Mama I get my meat delivered through a Tokyo based importer. They import heaps of meat from Aus including kangaroo, crocodile and ostrich! I'm considering also getting a turkey...haven't decided yet.

You have GOT to be kidding me 2Pints!!

Unless she has a cow fettish I think you just ensured yourself of a long dry spell!!!

Go with gold, diamonds, expensive perfume, luxurious handmade soap(I KNOW you got a LUSH store close by in LONDON) - or if she is a ski bunny get her some gear - even a sweet beanie....but for heaven sake - don't condemn yourself to celibacy!!

Ok ... well maybe I was exaggerating about the diamonds and gold and expensive perfume ... but come on!!! A COW cookie jar that Moo's ...

I have a friend who was seriously into pigs - ornaments etc (not the sick kind of into pigs!!) ... she ASKED for a pig cookie jar that oinked - and for her it was fantastic ... she loved it. But most women would be seriously offended - especially if it was a gift from thier partner.

Personally I just told my hubby last night that I really didn't care what he gave me for Christmas as long as he selected it himself. Last year he got his secretary to do all the shopping, and it really took the shine off the gifts - he gave her suggestions and she picked the stuff out - and I could tell ... they were NOT gifts from him, they were gifts from her using his money. It was not the same.

Editted to add:

I do ALL the Christmas decorating, shopping and preparation in my house. I have bought ALL of the gifts for the last 20 years (since we started dating!!) for his family and mine. I buy all the gifts for the children, and I wrap EVERYTHING myself. The only thing he has to do (apart from work) is buy a gift for me. And I felt that delegating something that should come from his heart was just poor form.

What's wrong with a cookie jar that moos? Personally I'd prefer that to diamonds & expensive perfume - I hate that kind of stuff.

MB, your second point is right, as long as it's something thoughtfully chosen by the giver, I'd be happy.

I'd actually quite like a mooing cookie jar. Sounds like fun.

I would not be pleased with some secretary buying my presents though. Tut tut. I hope he got a bit of a cold shoulder for that one!

Originally Posted By: thursday
I've done diamonds, watches, handbags etc.. it's all the same. It's the thought that counts and it's got to be an expensive thought.

Still haven't got a clue about what to get her yet.

lol.gif

I think in my horror at how I would feel (as a weight battler since having the kids) I might have given the wrong impression about thinking gifts need to be expensive...they don't.

The best gifts I have ever given ranged from cheap as chips to v.expensive - the common thing in them was the thought that went into them:
**One year we had a $30 maximum for each other (hubby and I) and I managed to pick up a copy of Bryce Courtneys latest book (Hubby is a fan) and stand in a queue for 3 hours to have it personally signed by BC for him. He LOVES it!
**Gave my parents a weekend on a cruise ship WITH us - time with thier kids and grandkids doing something completely decadant. They (and the kids) will remember that time forever. Very special!
**My hubby loves the instant spiced apple cider sachets you can buy in the US - can't get them here - I did a couple of swaps with USA girls - TimTams for Cider sachets and have a gift of 3 boxes wrapped for him under the tree..

...it need not be expensive.

And as I said - if the girl is into moo-ing cows, great! But personally ... I would find that as offensive as the WW diet shakes (even though I buy THEM myself!), or a gym membership (even though I often join gyms)...

nah, i can quite easily imagine a cow shaped jar that moos going down the wrong way

we expect a full report 2 pints

and are you going to fill the jar with freegan cookies - or better yet, is the jar from a skip behind a shop?